Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween everyone! I had a lot of fun this weekend. Brownies and cupcakes were involved. And they were not of the healthy makeover variety. Every once and awhile you have to break the rules and Halloween's a good time to do it. I also feel better about eating treats made from scratch than packaged candy that lasts for 2 years on a shelf. Just saying!

For the most part I'm not planning on including rule-breakers on here, but because it is Halloween I'm more than happy to!

First up... Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Brownies. I saw these on Ultimate Recipe Showdown awhile ago, and I've made them three times now. They are definitely special occasion brownies. Don't even bother to look at the nutritional information. But they are GOOD. I didn't mess with the recipe one bit, so I'm just going to leave you with the link. And a picture...


I made these brownies to take to a Halloween party and they were a really big hit. I baked them in a 9"x9" pan and cut them into 16 brownies. They are really rich, and while I usually advocate for a more generous serving size, a smaller size worked out well this time.

The second recipe is a two-parter. I made Chocolate Cupcakes from a recipe by Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) with Creamy Chocolate Frosting.



I've actually never made cupcakes from scratch before. One thing I did was buy Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder. I will never buy any other kind! I used to buy just generic cocoa powder thinking, "It's powdered unsweetened chocolate? What difference can it make?" Oh, it's a big difference. I can't believe what I was missing! I was eating the batter with a spoon! It tasted like pudding. I now plan on testing out some really high quality cocoa powder in the near future. I also may need to make chocolate pudding.

These are really intense. I brought them to work with me today. The spider legs are pretty fun if I do say so myself...


The cupcakes are perfect. This recipe made 18 cupcakes for me. I really won't touch the recipe and I would not recommend any changes. After reading the reviews of the frosting, I made a double batch. I now have a huge bag of frosting in my fridge, so stick with a single batch!

The brownies, however, I have plans for. I think these are going to be featured in a recipe remix.

No comments:

Post a Comment