Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pumpkin Bread Makeover

Makeovers were always one of my favorite hobbies. Grandmothers, my brother and my friends were often subjected to the full-on hair/make-up/wardrobe special. Now I subject recipes to the same special treatment!

My mom sent me a recipe for pumpkin bread and, of course, I couldn’t leave it as is. I cut down on the sugar and butter. I also added in a pumpkin butter topping. If you swirl the pumpkin butter into the top of the loaf it melts in and tastes amazing. 

Pumpkin Bread
1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
½ tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
2 large eggs
½ cup maple syrup
½ cup applesauce
½ stick butter, melted
½ can pure pumpkin puree
½ cup pumpkin butter (see recipe below)
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9x5 loaf pan. 
  2. Mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, salt, cinnamon and cloves) in a small bowl.
  3. Now mix the wet ingredients (eggs, syrup, applesauce, butter and pumpkin- hold off on the pumpkin butter for now!) in a larger bowl.
  4. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix well.
  5. Pour the mixture into your loaf pan and swirl the pumpkin butter on top.
  6. Bake at 350F until a toothpick comes out dry- about an hour.
  7. Allow to cool for 20-30 minutes.  

You can see how the pumpkin butter melts into the top of the bread. So good! I also added a layer of pumpkin butter in the middle of loaf, and you can kind of see it, but I don't think it added much to the bread and I would take it out for next time.

Pumpkin Butter
1 can pure pumpkin puree
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Juice of half a lemon

  1. Combine pumpkin, apple juice, spices and maple syrup in a large saucepan. Mix well and bring to a boil.
  2. Reduce heat and place lid on loosely; simmer for 35-40 minutes stirring frequently.
  3. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
  4. Cool and store in fridge for up to 3 weeks!  

Yum. I've never had store bought pumpkin butter, so I can't compare, but this is amazing. Tomorrow it will be going in my oatmeal. It would also taste good on plain toast. I added more apple juice than the original recipe called for and it has just a hint of apple flavor, which is really brought out by the lemon. I tasted the butter before I added in the lemon and it was way to sweet for my liking, but the flavors balanced out once I mixed it in.

(Pumpkin Butter recipe adapted from Oh She Glows)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment