Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pumpkin Pie for Breakfast

This is my first blog post! I'm excited. I've been thinking about starting a blog for awhile and yesterday I finally bit the bullet.  I love to read food blogs, I love to cook and I'm always adapting/creating my own recipes. Hopefully this will be an easy way to share my creations. [And to keep them in one place in case I decide to make something more than once and can't remember the recipe.]

DC weather update: It was raining this morning at 6 a.m.

If it was a light rain, I probably could have gotten myself out the door for a run. Except it wasn't so I went back to bed. But- I made breakfast instead! I eat oatmeal everyday. I throw oats and milk into a bowl, let it soak, microwave and mix in whatever I have on hand. But, today I baked my oatmeal. And it was great.

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup milk (I use skim)
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 ripe banana
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon plus 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon plus 1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon melted butter
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1/3 cup chopped walnuts

1. Preheat your oven to 350F
2. Mix oats, milk, pumpkin puree, banana, vanilla, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 tablespoon maple syrup in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl mix together 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, flour, butter and chopped walnuts.
4. Pour the pumpkin mixture into a pie plate and top with the walnut spread.
5. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, set your oven to broil and broil on high for about a minute (keep an eye on it!)

Allow to cool for 5 minutes then serve! This recipe makes four servings. 


This is so good. The flavor of the banana really makes a huge difference- I don't recommend you leave it out. I keep bananas in my freezer so that I always have some on hand. When a banana starts to get ripe, I break it in half and throw it into the freezer in a Ziploc bag.

Suggestion: I prefer only adding cinnamon to my pumpkin recipes, but for a more authentic pumpkin pie flavor you could add 1/8th teaspoon of both nutmeg and ground ginger.

(recipe adapted from Oh She Glows)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,
    This is great. Looking forward to more recipes!

    Thanks,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I was so excited to see my first comment :)

    ReplyDelete