Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Buffalo Chili

I used to buy a packet that read 'chili seasoning' and call it a day. It's really not a bad option. If you look at the ingredients it pretty much says 'chili pepper and other seasonings, flour, salt.' I have no idea what the 'other seasonings' actually are, so potentially there might be some unfriendly ingredients, but aside from the sodium content, I don't see any real offenders.

My problem is, what if you want chili and you don't have a packet? I discovered that you can still make chili! You probably have everything you need in your pantry. 



Buffalo Chili

1 medium onion
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper, to taste
1 pound ground buffalo (you can sub in ground beef or turkey)
15 oz can no-salt diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn
3 cups stock (any kind!)
15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Toppings: Avocado, tomatoes, cheese etc.
  1. Dice onion and garlic. Heat olive oil in a large pot and saute for about 5 minutes.  
  2. Add ground buffalo and cook through.
  3. Stir in chili powder, cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper.
  4. Stir in tomatoes, corn, stock and kidney beans.
  5. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a low simmer.
  6. Allow chili to simmer for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to soak in.
  7. Add toppings and eat!

Avocado is my new favorite topping... for just about anything :) I'm also on kind of a cheese kick, so I've been loading that on top of whatever I can find. I really do enjoy the ground buffalo in here from Cibola Farms, but you could easily sub in ground turkey or beef. If you're a veggie, check out my friend Lauren's blog because it just so happens that we posted (very different!) chili recipes on the same day!

No comments:

Post a Comment