Monday, November 21, 2011

Green Bean Burgers

Did you notice how my White Bean Burgers became White Bean Burgers? That is because I made them green!

No, not with actually green beans... but with my favorite green food dye. Also known as, SPINACH. I love it.

I saw a recipe for bean burgers in Cooking Light awhile ago, and I've been making variations of it ever since. Bean burgers are super versatile.

Green Bean Burgers


1 teaspoon + 1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 can cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
1 large egg
1 cup diced spinach

1 bunch fresh basil
salt and pepper, to taste
  1. Preheat oven to 400F.
  2. In a small pan over medium-high heat, saute onion and garlic for about 5 minutes.
  3. In a medium bowl, mix oats, almonds, corn starch, mustard, cannelloni beans, egg, spinach, basil, salt and pepper and onion mixture.
  4. Add mixture into a food processor and blend until just combined. Return to bowl.
  5. Form mixture into four patties.
  6. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
  7. Add the patties to the pan and cook until slightly crispy, about 3 minutes on each side.
  8. Carefully remove patties from pan using a spatula and place on a greased baking sheet.
  9. Bake at 400F for 15 minutes.
Serve on pita with lettuce, tomato and Dijon-Yogurt Sauce (see below).

Dijon-Yogurt Sauce

1 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey
salt and pepper, to taste
  1. Easy- just combine!

Yummm!

I wish I had taken a picture of the burgers without the pita because they really are green. I'm not sure- does that make these more or less appealing to kids? Putting the beans into burgers really masks the bean, so if your kids don't eat beans this would be an easy way to introduce them.

We had the burgers with sweet potato fries. This was SO filling. A lot of the time I hear that it's not a meal unless there's meat on the plate, well- this is the type of meal that can change that. There is no chance you'll be hungry after this. I actually wish I had only ate one burger because I could barely eat any fries.

A lot of the recipes you see in magazines have a long ingredient list. You aren't limited to that list! I've never made these burgers according to the exact recipe. I adjust it to both suit my tastes and what I have on hand at the time. Don't be afraid to mix it up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment