Thursday, November 17, 2011

Healing Chicken Soup and Biscuits

So about that meal plan for the week....

I've made approximately zero of the planned meals.

We actually ate out both Monday and Tuesday. Then Brian came down with a cold and I thought something healthy was needed. I was so glad for that chicken I bought over the weekend. I roasted it in the oven on Sunday and then used the bones to make broth in my crock pot. (After cooking, throw bones and any vegetables or herbs that you stuffed in the cavity into crock pot, fill with water and cook on low overnight. Freeze in jars, Tupperware or cool and use Ziploc bags).


Healing Chicken Soup

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 carrots, sliced
1 lb baby potatoes, halved
1 zucchini, sliced
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon each: oregano, basil, parsley
2 quarts chicken broth (2 jars homemade or 2 boxes store-bought)
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn
3 oz fresh spinach (about half a bag), chopped
1 bunch fresh basil, torn
  1. In a large pot, saute onion, garlic and carrots in olive oil for about 5 minutes.
  2. Add in potatoes, sliced zucchini (I cut into half moons and then sliced large pieces once more) and shredded chicken.
  3. Stir in salt, pepper, basil, oregano and parsley.
  4. Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Throw in peas and corn.
  5. Mix up biscuits! (see below)
  6. Allow soup to simmer for about 15 minutes then stir in spinach and basil for one minute and turn off the heat.
Whole Wheat Biscuits (that taste good!)

2 cups whole wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup of butter
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon butter, melted (optional) (recommended!)
  1. Preheat oven to 450F.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix flour and baking powder.
  3. Cut in butter. (I have no fancy solution for this- I diced up cold butter and then just mixed it in with my hands as best I could- it worked fine.)
  4. Pour in milk and honey. Mix with wooden spoon until combined, then knead with hands until just blended.
  5. Roll out on a well-floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness and cut out with the top of a glass. 
  6. Bake on a greased baking sheet at 450F for 12-14 minutes. Halfway through baking, brush tops with melted butter.
I did not think these biscuits were going to turn out. I meant to use white whole wheat flour, and then completely forgot and used regular whole wheat. I also did not mix in the butter very well. They were still amazing! They flaked nicely and split in half like the Pillsbury biscuits. Way easier than I had imagined.

As for the soup's healing powers? Brian is feeling much better today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment