So about that meal plan for the week....
I've made approximately zero of the planned meals.
Healing Chicken Soup
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 carrots, sliced
1 lb baby potatoes, halved
1 zucchini, sliced
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon each: oregano, basil, parsley2 quarts chicken broth (2 jars homemade or 2 boxes store-bought)
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn
3 oz fresh spinach (about half a bag), chopped
1 bunch fresh basil, torn
- In a large pot, saute onion, garlic and carrots in olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add in potatoes, sliced zucchini (I cut into half moons and then sliced large pieces once more) and shredded chicken.
- Stir in salt, pepper, basil, oregano and parsley.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Throw in peas and corn.
- Mix up biscuits! (see below)
- Allow soup to simmer for about 15 minutes then stir in spinach and basil for one minute and turn off the heat.
Whole Wheat Biscuits (that taste good!)
2 cups whole wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup of butter
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon butter, melted (optional) (recommended!)
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour and baking powder.
- Cut in butter. (I have no fancy solution for this- I diced up cold butter and then just mixed it in with my hands as best I could- it worked fine.)
- Pour in milk and honey. Mix with wooden spoon until combined, then knead with hands until just blended.
- Roll out on a well-floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness and cut out with the top of a glass.
- Bake on a greased baking sheet at 450F for 12-14 minutes. Halfway through baking, brush tops with melted butter.
I did not think these biscuits were going to turn out. I meant to use white whole wheat flour, and then completely forgot and used regular whole wheat. I also did not mix in the butter very well. They were still amazing! They flaked nicely and split in half like the Pillsbury biscuits. Way easier than I had imagined.
As for the soup's healing powers? Brian is feeling much better today :)