Saturday, November 12, 2011

Pulled Pork

By coincidence, Brian and I purchased the same cut of meat at the farmer's market without realizing it- Pork Bottom Round. Not a problem! I figured I would just Google search the cut and find a couple of very different ways to make it.

I didn't even find one that I wanted to try. But I did want to make pulled pork. My mom had recently replenished my supply of Dinosaur BBQ Sauce and I needed to use it. Would a Pork Bottom Round work? I had no idea. Good thing I have a crock pot! I'm pretty sure you can make anything work in a crock pot.

Pulled Pork

4 pound cut of pork*
4 cups of stock (beef, chicken, or veggie)
1 cup of water
1 onion, quartered
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
barbeque sauce**
  1. Place pork in slow cooker. Cover with salt and pepper.
  2. Pour stock and water into the bottom of the crock pot. 
  3. Toss in onion, garlic and bay leaf.
  4. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
  5. After cooking, remove pork and place into a large pot on the stove over medium-low heat. Using two forks, shred meat.
  6. Stir in barbeque sauce and let soak in over low heat for 15 minutes. 
  7. Serve on rolls or pita.

* I used Pork Bottom Round and it worked great, but more traditional cuts would include shoulder or Boston butt. You can also use a larger cut of meat, just adjust liquid amounts.

** Measure barbeque sauce out when you mix it in with the meat. Just pour in slowly and mix every so often until you think the sauce:meat ratio looks good!

This was amazing! I mostly credit a good cut of meat and quality barbeque sauce. I think you could cover anything in Dinosaur BBQ and it would taste good. I've tried making my own sauce, but nothing has even come a little bit close to Dinosaur yet. And, I'm not really motivated to keep trying. As far as sauces go, Dinosaur has a pretty good ingredient list. I'm not too happy about the Xantham Gum or Smoke Flavoring, but I can't think of any other foods I eat with these ingredients so it falls into the category of things I eat in moderation.

If you cook meat in a crock pot, it comes out really, really tender and flavorful with NO effort. I love it. If you have small children, please be very careful to keep the crock pot towards the back of your counter while cooking and the cord tucked away so he/she can't reach it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment