Friday, November 11, 2011

Quinoa Wrap-up

I had limited groceries on hand the other day (see: busy week!), so I thought I might have to get a little creative with dinner.

I had leftover quinoa and chickpeas. Pita bread. Cucumber. A couple of tomatoes. One green bell pepper. Avocado.

Those are some of my favorite ingredients, but it took awhile before I decided that a quinoa pita could actually make a meal. I kind of think of quinoa as a grain, but it really is a seed. So this isn't a carb-on-carb sandwich, which would be too weird for even me to eat.

I roughly chopped up the bell pepper and drizzled with olive oil before roasting at 400F for 35 minutes. When that was done, I tossed the quinoa/chickpea leftovers into a pan over medium-high heat and added the pepper. Cook until warm. Make a quick home-made dressing. Chop the veggies and mix it all together. Stuff in pitas. Devour.


This was even better than I hoped for. Brian agreed and said that he would eat it again. Sometimes I get a, "This is good, but let's not make it again." I appreciate the honesty because then I know when something is GOOD. This was GOOD. 

The most important ingredient is the dressing. It's super easy and versatile. I use this dressing on all my salads. It kept the filling from being too try and added a ton of the flavor!

Shake It Up Salad Dressing

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard tablespoon honey
½ tablespoon honey
salt and pepper, to taste
  1. Combine in a small jar or container.
  2. Shake!


Easy!! You can also use my favorite technique and just throw ingredients into the jar adjusting amounts as you go. If you make extra it will store in the fridge for a few days. These proportions work out for about two servings of salad.


This wrap had so much flavor and really great texture from the veggies- crunchy cucumber, juicy tomatoes and smooth avocado and chickpeas. You could use either pita or a tortilla as the wrap. I also ate the leftover filling by itself for lunch the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment