Sunday, November 13, 2011

Veg Fajitas

I never would have thought of eating fajitas without meat until I saw a friend order veggie fajitas at a restaurant. It looked amazing and I've ordered that at Mexican restaurants ever since. I also started making my own- and I prefer my own over most restaurant versions now.

Every time I make them they're a little different. Different veggies. Different beans. Sometimes rice, sometimes not.

My new favorite addition is homemade re-fried beans.


Re-fried Beans

2 cups dried pinto beans
1 onion, quartered
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
6 cups water
salt and pepper, to taste

  1. Add all of the ingredients into a crock pot.
  2. Cook on low for 4-5 hours. 
  3. Before serving, scoop the beans into a bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher. (be sure to leave out onion and bay leaf)
EASY! And, they taste so much better than canned. No BPA and you control the sodium. I always say 'salt and pepper, to taste', not because I expect you would enjoy tasting the water, but because you should just put the amount in you'd like. Sometimes I don't even put any salt in.


Serve the beans on some homemade tortillas with sauteed vegetables (those are the beans sitting next to the veggies). This time I sauteed peppers, onions, summer squash, carrots and mushrooms in a little olive oil. Of course, I have to make guacamole, too :)

For that dinner I made a really simple version of guac- avocado, salt and pepper. I made something a little more fun later in the week though...


Veggie Guac

2 avocados
1 cup black beans
1 cup frozen corn (thawed)
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
juice of half a lime
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
  1. Mash avocado with a fork.
  2. Mix in the rest of ingredients.
That's all! The best way to cut an avocado is to slice it open lengthwise and take out the pit, then scoop out the middle with a spoon. You can either cut it into chunks, or mash it into guacamole.

I'm not sure I'd have both veggie fajitas and veggie guac at the same meal, but the veggie guac would go great with some cheese and re-fried bean quesadillas (usually how I take care of leftovers later in the week).

No comments:

Post a Comment