Make fresh gnocchi at home- Be sure to only use Russet potatoes- I learned the hard way that other varieties won't work! Recipe adapted from Rachel Ray.
Ingredients (serves 4)
2 large Russet potatoes
1 cup white whole wheat flour
nutmeg, salt and pepper (about it a pinch each)
- Boil a large pot of water and drop the potatoes in whole. Cook until tender, about 40 minutes. Remove from water.
- Allow potatos to cool slightly, then remove the skins and break apart- allow to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes to remove all lumps.
- Sprinkle the flour over the potatoes and add the egg, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Using a fork, start to mix up the dough. When it starts to come together knead with your hands for about five minutes.
- Form a ball and divide into eight smaller balls. Roll each ball out into a dowel shape, about 3/4 of an inch thick.
- Using a sharp knife, cut each dowel into gnocchi peices about an inch long.
- Transfer all of the gnocchi into a pot of boiling water and boil until the pasta has risen to the top of the pot (this will only take about a minute)..
Powered by Recipage