It has a texture more substantial and hearty than spinach, and although it has a distinct flavor, its definitely less 'green' tasting.
If you haven't tried it yet, this recipe is a good place to start. I know for sure that my dad is particularly excited to try out some kale… :)
Kale + olive oil + salt finds its into my mouth at least once a week.
There are many varities of kale. The most availible to me are curly kale and lacinato (or dinosaur) kale. I've made this recipe with both, but primarily stick with curly kale because you get a little more crunch due to the shape. To start out, maybe choose lactino kale for a more traditional chip shape.
Baked Kale Chips
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 325F
- Tear kale into bite-sized pieces and lay on baking sheet
- Drizzle with olive oil
- 'Massage' the olive oil into the kale for a full minute- each leaf should be glossy
- Sprinkle with salt. Go easy at first because the volume of the kale is going to decrease as it bakes
- Bake in oven at 325F for about 15 minutes. I usually check on the kale at about 10 minutes and either flip the leaves, or pull out some of the smaller leaves that have fully baked.
- After 15 minutes ensure that all of your kale pieces are crisp (if not, just pull out the ones that are and keep the others in for a bit) and enjoy as a snack or a side!