Sunday, January 27, 2013

First Day Post Vacation

While we were away I stayed on pretty much the same sleep schedule so other than the late night getting back to DC, I felt pretty normal today and woke up around 8 AM. 

There's so much to do on the first day after a trip. I thought I would be a little bummed to have to start cooking for myself again, but that really wasn't the case. I was so ready to make a healthy weekend breakfast.

Between January and March our farmer's market opens a little later, 10 instead of 8:30 AM, which meant the day got started a little later too. I stuffed handfuls of granola into my mouth while I made up a full menu for the week with shopping lists for both the market and the grocery store, then headed over to the market when it opened up. (In lovely 30 degree weather… welcome home to me!)

I made breakfast as soon as I got back… sweet potato hash (sweet potatoes, onions, garlic, peppers, sausage, spinach and rosemary) with eggs.

DSCN1983

So good. Usually on weekends we have two big meals- a late breakfast and dinner- and this was definitely filling enough to keep me going until dinner.

I got started on dinner during the afternoon. While catching up on some of the blogs I read, I saw a post on KathEats for pork chops that sounded so easy I had to try it. I made a few small changes.

Slow-cooked Pork Chops

Recipe adapted from KathEats.

Ingredients

  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tbsp dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup water
  • Drizzle of oil
  • 2 pork chops
  • 2 large apples, sliced
  • 1/2 white onion, sliced

Instructions

  1. Mix together the apple cider vinegar through maple syrup
  2. Heat a pan and drizzle in just a touch of oil, add pork chops and sear on both sides for about a minute each
  3. Pour water into the bottom of the crock pot and then place in pork chops
  4. Cover with sauce then place onions and apples on top
  5. Cook on high for 4 hours

DSCN1984

This smelled SO good while it was cooking. After 4 hours I threw a mix of stir fry greens that I picked up at the market into pan with a touch of olive oil, salt and pepper for a side. I think its a mix of kale, swiss chard and spinach- I love it.

DSCN1985

I thought the end result was excellent.

DSCN1989

The meat was really tender. Brian commented that the meat itself didn't have a ton of flavor, but if you included a bite of onion and apple with it (which I did on every bite) then it kind of takes care of that issue. It reminded me a lot of how I used to eat pork chops with apple sauce when I was younger, so if you've ever enjoyed that then I think this will be a win. 

I went to Whole Foods today and stocked up for the week and I'm planning some Super Bowl recipes for the week which means lots of fun foods for our dinners :) For now, I'm headed to prep a salad for lunch tomorrow. One thing I noticed from Mexico was a lack of greens and I missed my salads!

No comments:

Post a Comment