Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Peanut Thai Noodles

Dinner tonight was something totally different. I bought some Japanese-style linguine at Whole Foods earlier this week, but then on Monday I learned that Brian does not like soy sauce. So, I needed a new plan for those noodles.

I tried to think of a different type of sauce that also wasn't too spicy because I don't like that. I decided on a peanut sauce and this is what I came up with:

Peanut Thai Noodles

Ingredients

  • 1 13.5 oz can full fat coconut milk (shake can well)
  • 1/8 cup roasted red curry paste
  • 2/3 cup natural peanut butter (salted)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 package rice noodles
  • 1 package extra-firm tofu (pressed)
  • 2 tablespoons oil (I used safflower because of its high smoke point)
  • 1 cup snap peas
  • 1 carrot, grated
  • soy sauce or Bragg's Liquid Aminos, to taste

Cooking Directions

  1. Bring a pot of water to a boil
  2. Combine the first six ingredients (everything before the noodles) in a sauce pan and bring to an easy boil
  3. Reduce heat and whisk everything together as it warms up
  4. Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes, then turn off heat
  5. Drizzle soy sauce or Bragg's Aminos on tofu and cut into bite-sized cubes
  6. Heat oil in a large sauté pan and drop in tofu for a quick fry when hot
  7. After a few minutes, when the tofu starts to crisp up, add the snap peas and cook for another two minutes
  8. Turn off heat and add in grated carrot
  9. Drop the noodles into the boiling water and allow to cook for about a minute or two- they only need to become soft and flexible
  10. Combine noodles, sauce, veggie/tofu mix and serve
DSCN1815
You could easily sub in chicken for the tofu if you'd like.
I really enjoyed this. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about a peanut sauce, but it worked out well. I reduced the amount of sugar dramatically based on other recipes I saw, and I think you could reduce the amount even more if you wanted. The coconut milk adds a really creamy texture to the sauce without adding any dairy, but keep in mind that it is not low-cal (and that you are going to fill up really quickly). You can find coconut milk in a can, as well as curry paste, in the international/ Asian section of most grocery stores. 
As you can see, I served this with an interesting looking salad. It was wakame (a variety of seaweed). I had a wakame salad at a sushi restaurant last month that I LOVED and I wanted to recreate. This did not taste good. And, to be honest, it smelled pretty gross when I was cooking it. Maybe that had something to do with my inability to eat more than one bite. Maybe that's a once-in-awhile-when-I'm-out kind of thing. 

2 comments:

  1. Glad the blog is back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, me too- let's get together for brunch again soon!

      Delete