Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Super Bowl Sliders

Apparently the average person consumes 1,200 calories while watching the Super Bowl. Clearly, that's a lot. However, say you typically need 1,500 calories per day, you exercise for an hour that morning (~400 calories) and you scale back a bit on the food. Not so bad. Especially if you make those calories count by filling up on nutrient packed foods.

Last year for the Super Bowl I made about 100 different foods, which was way too much for just Brian and I. This year I'm planning on scaling back a bit, but one dish that will definitely be included are sliders. Just one of these sliders, placed on a whole wheat mini pita, provides 16% of your daily iron requirements, nearly 19 grams of protein and more than 4 grams of fiber.

Yesterday morning, my office opening was delayed because of the weather, so I worked from home for a few hours before heading in and I had time to make some pita in the morning. It only takes a few minutes of actual effort and the rest of the time is just waiting for the dough to rise to rise. The recipe typically makes eight pitas, but since I was prepping for sliders I cut the dough into 12 pieces and cooked them for four minutes instead of five.

DSCN1993
It smelled SO good.

After work I threw together the rest of the sliders- I used a half pound of ground beef to make four patties and loaded them onto a bun with lettuce, ketchup, caramelized onions, tomato, cheese and avocado.

DSCN1998
These will be perfect for Sunday. If you don't want to make the pita, you can usually find mini-sized pita at the grocery store, and you can also use store-bought dinner rolls as a last resort.

To round out the meal I chopped up some veggies for chili.

DSCN1995

Into the pot went pepper, carrots, onion, zucchini and garlic with a little olive oil. I make my own chili spice mix, but if you find a chili spice packet without additives that works too.

Chili Spice Mix

  • 3 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
I add the chili mix after sautéing the veggies for about 5 minutes. I heard that adding spicy spices (hm, is there a better way to word that one?) at the beginning of the recipe allows the flavors to develop more fully. Might need to try it out a few more times before I come to a verdict.

I added a large (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes, 1/2 can of water and 1 1/2 cups of dried beans that I had soaked during the day. I let it simmer for about an hour to cook the beans, then tossed in some frozen corn and chopped spinach.

DSCN1997
Topped with a little cheddar cheese and cilantro. Throw the whole batch into your crock pot (set on warm) during the game and let guests help themselves as they get hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment