Tuesday, February 19, 2013

3 Day Weekend

Three day weekends are pretty great. I'm not sure how you are supposed to celebrate President's Day, but my version involved a lot of food and some good runs!

The weather was really cold in DC, but we got in a few walks to get some shopping done AND managed to convince myself to run every day. On Sunday, I ran eight miles which was really exciting for me- that's the longest run I've had since November when I injured my achilles on an 8 mile run. That also makes it only the second long run since my marathon in October. Needless to say, it feels pretty good to be able to cover that kind of distance again. 

As far as the food, it was hit or miss this weekend!

We started off with a meal of Sloppy Chicks from Keepin' it Kind. Remembering my experience with buffalo cauliflower wings, I skipped the sriracha sauce this time. Unfortunately, I think that's kind of a necessary ingredient because we thought it was a little lacking in flavor. Other than that, I thought the recipe was super innovative and a great swap for the original ground beef. If you leave out the sriracha like I did, I recommend making it more BBQ style and add some sauce. 

DSCN2126

The next night, we went out to Afghan Kabob House. Amazinggg. I got a plate of rice, chick peas, cauliflower and eggplant. My only complaint is that the eggplant portion was a little skimpy and that's my favorite part. They really max out my spiciness limit, but it's so good that I just drink a ton of water as I eat. 

DSCN2128

There was also a total recipe flop. I wanted to make a healthy, nutty carrot cake bar that I could top with honey-sweetened cream cheese.

DSCN2132

Looks delicious right? Well it tastes gross. The cream cheese topping helps a little, but these are so yuck. And to add insult to injury, they were not particularly easy to make. Blech.

On Monday night, I made a nice 'Sunday night dinner' with a pork rib roast, roasted butternut squash and spinach sautéed with onions, garlic, pine nuts and tossed in olive oil and balsamic. Deeeelicious. Eventually I will figure out how to estimate cooking time for large portions of meat so that Brian and I aren't eating dinner at 9:30 PM. 

DSCN2144

To round out the weekend, I did have a recipe success. I made a new batch of granola this weekend, considering the Sweet Cinnamon Granola is long gone. Brian wasn't too excited to hear I was making a new kind of granola, but I've made several batches of cinnamon in a row and wanted to mix it up.

This new version has nuts, seeds and peanut butter to give it a little more heft. Feel free to swap out any of the mix in's with whatever you have on hand.

Peanut Butter Protein Granola

Ingredients

  • 4 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1 cup sliced almonds
  • 1/2 cup sesame seeds
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 6 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter (unsweetened)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 250F
  2. Mix together dry ingredients
  3. Add coconut oil and peanut butter to a saucepan- heat over low and mix well
  4. When the oil and peanut butter are combined, remove from heat and pour over oats mixture- combine well
  5. Spread oat mixture on a large baking sheet (or two small) and bake at 250F for 70 minutes, stirring once.
  6. Allow the granola to cool completely and then EAT!
DSCN2139

The end verdict? I think Brian was surprised to find that it was better than he anticipated :) We have both been sneaking handfuls already. Always a good thing. This version is actually more sweet tasting than the cinnamon kind, but less buttery. I would say that this is the better bowl of cereal, but I do prefer the cinnamon kind for eating handfuls.

Back to the grind today! Luckily, the added bonus of a 3 day weekend, is a 4 day work week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment