Saturday, February 16, 2013

Cupcakes!

I've been on a serious sugar high since Valentine's Day. I think it has something to do with these:

DSCN2122 001

Cupcakes from Frosting a Cupcakery! It's an amazing cupcake place near Brian's office. I was really hoping that he would bring some home :)

There are two of my favorites, red velvet, and then one carrot cake and one chocolate. 

There were also some of these,

DSCN2123 001

So pretty!

We went for dinner at Al TIramisu… we go to the same restaurant every year for Valentine's Day, except one year when we couldn't get a reservation. Now I call at the beginning of January to be sure we will get in!

I didn't take really take pictures during this meal, but we enjoyed a nice bottle of wine and split some calamari and tuna tartare to start. Then I had gnocchi and Brian had (heart-shaped) crab ravioli for entrees. Al Tiramisu serves my FAVORITE dessert ever- it's a semifreddo with candied nuts (think candied-nut flavored ice cream). We have never had a bad meal there.

Photo 6

Earlier in the week I had all of our incredible tapas dishes from Jaleo on my mind.

I went to work recreating that amazing spinach dish that we had. I received a good tip from a friend- to add the apples later in the cooking process to prevent mush- and was really happy with how this turned out. It didn't taste like the Jaleo version, but it was somewhat similar and still delicious. I'm not sure what I could do to recreate Jaleo's version- maybe add a lot of butter???

Tossed Spinach with Apples and Pine Nuts

Ingredients

  • 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1/3 cup raisins
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts
  • 1/2 apple, diced
  • 1 pound spinach leaves
  • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

  1. Heat olive oil and butter in a large sauté pan
  2. Add onions and sauté for about two minutes
  3. Add raisins and garlic, sauté another two minutes
  4. Add pine nuts, sauté one minute
  5. Add apple, spinach and vinegar and sauté until spinach is wilted
  6. Add salt and pepper, to taste, and serve

SpinachCollage

 Can you tell which is my version????

No comments:

Post a Comment