Saturday, February 23, 2013

Dinner for One

This has been a crazy week- I feel like I've hardly seen Brian because we've both had so much going on. Last night, he was out with his friends for a guys night so I was on my own for dinner. 

I started out the evening by making myself an appetizer. So fancy. I saw this recipe for Warm Dates with Parmesan on Williams-Sonoma today. I made it without the olive oil (only because I forgot) and it tasted really good. These are super sweet! Definitely a good appetizer. Dates are kind of filling… so maybe two per person is a better appetizer size. 

DSCN2154

When Brian's not around for dinner, I usually take whatever random foods I have on hand and try to make something out of it. Tonight's assortment? Kale, apples and a sweet potato. I love kale chips and that's usually my default recipe, but I really liked the kale salad I had earlier this month and decided to see if I could create something similar. 

I'm not sure how to get the kale shreds as thin as they did at the restaurant, but this was a pretty good attempt! 

DSCN2158

Warm Kale Salad 

Dressing

  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider  vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/2 tablespoon dijon mustard
  • dash of salt and pepper

Salad Ingredients

  • 1/2 pound kale, sliced thin
  • 1/2 cup diced, roasted sweet potato
  • 1/2 cup diced apple
  • 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
  • 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
  • 2 tablespoons parmesan

Directions

  1. Add all dressing ingredients to a small container and shake (I use a 1 cup jar) or add to a bowl and mix well
  2. Put the shredded kale in a bowl and toss with the dress, allow to sit for at least 15 minutes (as long as over night)
  3. Add toppings! If the sweet potatoes aren't freshly roasted, heat them up before adding. Serves 2.

Kale is really hardy, and doesn't get soggy like lettuce if you prepare it ahead of time. It softens the kale a little bit and tastes better after a day sitting around. I ate one serving of this for dinner and am saving the other for the weekend. 

I eat a salad every day for lunch, but I am not at all into boring salads. I always need to have hearty, warm toppings on my salad and sweet potatoes are a favorite of mine. I roasted the sweet potatoes right before adding them to the salad and they made the entire salad warm up and the flavors melded really well. 

And now I am heading out! I am about to meet some of my friends for brunch at a really great restaurant :)

No comments:

Post a Comment