Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Greek Night!

Last weekend an awesome weekend for dinners. After eating out two nights in a row, I was ready to stay in and cook. 
 
When we were at the farmer's market Sunday, looking over our meat purchasing options, Brian saw ground lamb meat and said we should try that. He suggested making lamb burgers with tzatziki sauce, and then I got all excited about making more delicious pita.
 
Dinner came together really quickly. I mixed up the pita dough to let it rise and then went out on a run and got back to it after I came home. We put together some kale chips for a side and I mixed up the world's easiest tzatziki sauce while everything cooked. I <3 Greek food!

Lamb Burger Patties

Ingredients

  • 1 pound ground lamb
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions

  1. Mix ground meat together with spices and form into patties
  2. Cook in a frying pan or grill on medium high
(I decided to make six patties and cooked them in a frying pan for about 2 1/2 minutes on each side- they were medium rare, just the way I like it!)
 

Tzatziki Sauce

Ingredients

  • 6 oz 2% plain Greek yogurt
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup shredded cucumber

Direction

  1. Combine all ingredients and mix
 
Isn't that easy?
 
I piled the burgers on top of homemade pita, lettuce and tomato then topped them with some feta cheese and the tzatziki sauce. I loved the way the flavors of the lamb, feta and tzatziki complimented each other!
 
DSCN2103
 
This is not a low-fat kind of meat. At all. It was pretty fatty. It was also pretty delicious after a seven mile run! As long as I'm eating food that is real (unprocessed) I'm perfectly fine with eating something like this every so often. And, when I'm eating grass-fed and pasture-raised meat, I feel even better about it because high-quality animal fat is a natural food source and perfectly safe and healthy in moderation. We purchase a lot of our meat from EcoFriendly Foods and I'm very comfortable with the transparency they offer about their practices.
 
Also, I realize this is kind of old news by now… but did you see the Grammys? Did you notice that everyone looked awful? I know there was a 'dress code' and all, but I read it and it said nothing about choosing ugly dresses. Maybe all the celebrities got together in retaliation to the dress code and decided that they were going to look terrible so that style reporters would not cover the event. 
 
Seriously:
Worstdressed
 
Jennifer Lopez wore a one piece bathing suite with a train. A small child played with scissors too close to Kelly Rowland's dress. And, I LOVE Katy Perry, but this dress is so sad. I can't even talk about it.
 
When I tried to put together my best dressed list, I couldn't. There was only ONE dress that I looked at and thought, "Wow, she looks really nice."
 
Unfortunately, while searching for a picture, I learned that this dress is actually see-through and Rihanna exposed a little too much of herself on the red carpet. I take it back.
 
O RIHANNA GRAMMYS DRESS 2013 570
 
 
[All photos: Huffington Post]

No comments:

Post a Comment