Thursday, February 14, 2013

Heart Day!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Some people are just not into Valentine's Day. I am not one of those people. If you're in a relationship, its an excuse to go out to dinner and eat chocolate. If you're single, its a good excuse to drink and eat chocolate. I like the options!

I actually started celebrating last night...

DSCN2117
Stever's Candies!

Stever's makes amazing chocolate and I'm obsessed. If you're in Rochester, NY you should go immediately. The chocolates in the back are peanut butter filled chocolate hearts. Like a Reese's peanut butter cup, except 1000x better. Up front is a sponge candy heart. If you're not from Rochester, apparently you might not know what this even is. I was in college when I learned that sponge candy was not a part of everyone's life and I nearly had a heart attack. Find a way to make it a part of your life.

NewImage
In the center is crispy molasses and it melts as soon as you bite into it- kind of like cotton candy that's more crunch and has a way better flavor.

Thanks mom and dad! My dad makes sure that not a V-day goes by that I don't have some Stever's!
In addition to my mom and dad… I am lucky enough to have another Valentine.

Kimbrianvday
Awww!

(Brian, don't you like that picture? You look good in pink!)

Also, Washington Post shared some funny DC Valentines. This one goes out to Brian:

VdayMCM1 copy
He earned it :) (by running 2/3 of the marathon with me and keeping me from quitting/crying/crawling)

Now that the mushy stuff is out of the way, on to the chocolate.

I've put together a list of my favorite chocolate recipes. These recipes are all incredible, and have passed the Kim & Brian Taste Test.

Valentine's Day Recipe Roundup


Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Creamy Chocolate Frosting

These are hands down THE best chocolate cupcakes I have ever made. I didn’t even realize that they don’t have egg in them until after I was eating them- don’t let that scare you because I promise these will not disappoint! I made these when I didn’t want to run out to the store for anything special. You probably have all of the ingredients already so there’s no excuse not to make them! The chocolate frosting is super easy too- I substitute regular or almond milk instead of evaporated and have no problems.

No Bake Chocolate Crust with Dark Chocolate Avocado Mousse

I have made this several times and it’s always amazing. I know it sounds weird to eat avocado for dessert, but you do not taste it at all! I love this because it’s a dairy free recipe with healthy fat and it tastes so indulgent. I just mix up the Angela’s crust recipe and free while I then triple Julie’s mousse. Then pour it in and toss in the fridge for awhile before you serve.

Frosted B-raw-nies

We made these for the Super Bowl this year- I can’t say enough good things about them!

Chocolate Crinkles

For some reason I always think about these as a Christmas cookie… but you can make them year-round (and I do!). Brian LOVES these. Don’t sub in anything for the butter, though. Dairy-free alternatives do not work out so well.

Chocolate Brownies with Peanut Butter Cookie Dough

I use this recipe for the brownie layer, but sub in regular all-purpose flour rather than the gluten free varieties. Mix up the peanut butter layer and add on top. I prefer to use peanut butter without sugar- once you add sugar to the already sweetened peanut butter it detracts from the sweet/salty flavor combination that I love. I also just melt chocolate and pour it on top rather than mix in the whipping cream and add peanuts.

Chocolate Fondue

Just add: strawberries, bananas, apple, pineapple, angel food cake, and pretzels.

Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies

This is my go to chocolate chip cookie recipe. I like to sub in regular butter for the Crisco and these are just amazing.

 Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment