Monday, February 4, 2013

Super Bowl Spread

I was reading about how one in 12 people watch the Super Bowl just for the commercials. What about the number of people who watch the Super Bowl just for the food? That would be me. And, I can't be the only one.

Brian and I had a pretty good spread this year.

DSCN2038

 

We enjoyed some,

It was our first time trying out the vegveeta and the buffalo cauliflower wings. The vegveeta (vegan nacho cheese) was fine… but it wasn't cheesy. I had read a ton of positive reviews, but it just didn't quite do it. Brian and I used to go to a vegan restaurant and get nachos that we LOVED. The nacho cheese was apparently cashew based, like this recipe, but it really tasted like cheese. Maybe when you haven't had cheese in awhile you forget what it tastes like? 

The buffalo cauliflower wings on the other hand, were really good! They were just way to spicy for me, but that's my own fault. I do not like spicy foods. ever. So when I was pouring 1/4 cup of hot sauce into the mix, I probably should have put a little more thought into it. Definitely going to try again (with only a tablespoon of hot sauce) because I think this recipe is a winner.

[There's a food truck outside my office that I sometimes stop by for a burrito at lunch and they always ask how spicy you want the sauce on a scale of 1- 12. I say one and it still makes my eyes water, nose run and require several trips to the water cooler. I'm a baby.]

After stuffing ourselves silly, Brian and I broke out these guys at half time...

DSCN2045

My favorites! Those are B-raw-nies. They are vegan. They are raw. They are gluten free. They are AMAZING.

These brownies are the reason I keep coconut butter in my pantry. They take some effort to put together, but they are 100% worth it. Brian even tolerates the food processor noise to be able to enjoy these. I also love that they are sweetened with DATES and 1/4 cup of maple syrup. Other ingredients are just as basic- nuts, cocoa powder, the aforementioned coconut butter and some salt and vanilla. I highly recommend that you make these.

Other than that, the Super Bowl is just kind of 'eh' for me. I can watch basketball and I can watch baseball, but I can't follow football for the life of me. Destiny's Child was a highlight and I think the power surge was kind of amusing, but the game's still going on as I type and after this I have big plans to fall asleep on the couch!

No comments:

Post a Comment