Friday, February 8, 2013

Sweet Cinnamon Granola

When I was younger I thought granola was SUPER healthy. That kind at the grocery store? I ate it by the box. Eventually I realized there was a reason why it was so addictive, two actually- sugar and fat. Granola has so much of both!

I cut way back on my granola intake for many years, but I've made it at home a few times and its always addicting. The granola I made the other night is no different.

When it finished baking and I put it away into Mason jars, there was about half a cup left over. So, I poured it into a small bowl with some milk and ate it. And, a few extra handfuls. And, there are also those bites of granola I had before it was cooked. 

DSCN2064

I also left the jars on the counter, which meant I continued to snack on it before work and while I was cooking dinner. Which reminds me, I need to put that stuff away.

It. is. addicting.

Lucky for me, this version is much healthier that the boxes I used to buy. Most granola recipes call for butter, but here I've replaced with coconut oil. So you are still consuming fat, but a healthier type of fat with some valuable added benefits. 

DSCN2057

Sweet Cinnamon Granola

Ingredients

  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 2 cups sliced, raw almonds
  • 2 tablespoons cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 250F
  2. Stir together oats, almonds, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl
  3. In a small saucepan over low heat, stir together coconut oil and honey
  4. Remove honey/ oil mixture from heat and add vanilla
  5. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix
  6. Spread mixture on a large baking sheet and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring once after 40 minutes
  7. Allow to cool and then store in an airtight container for 1 1/2 - 2 weeks

DSCN2060

No comments:

Post a Comment