Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Working Woman.

Most of the time I blog about all of the food I prepare and eat at home, but the truth is I am a working woman and eat 2/3 of my weekday meals at my desk!


For some reason the words ‘working woman’ made me think of Murphy Brown. I’m not sure if I have ever seen that show, or that I could tell you what it’s about, I just remember commercials from my childhood of her in blazers with shoulder pads. Working woman.

Anyway. I pack my meals in my lovely Vera Bradley lunchbox and eat breakfast and lunch at work.


Most days I eat the exact same thing which is super boring and seems pretty un-newsworthy to me, which is why I don’t share it! But, I guess sharing one time might make sense.

Since September 10, I have been eating pumpkin oatmeal for breakfast Monday- Friday. I know the exact date because Google saves all my g-chats and searching the words “pumpkin oatmeal” revealed that I was so excited about it that I shared my breakfast menu with a friend :)

Pumpkin Oatmeal contains: 1/3 cup oats, 1 tablespoon chia seeds, 1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut, 1/4 cup pumpkin, 2/3 cup milk and 1 thinly sliced banana.


I pack that up and let it ‘soak’ on my walk to work and then heat it up in the microwave at my office.


Doesn’t that look so delicious? Mmm. Very photogenic meal. It tastes good! I use overripe bananas and they melt in allowing the natural sugars in the fruit to sweeten the oats.

Lunch is almost always the same too, although I sometimes mix it up and bring in leftovers. I very rarely buy lunch just because it is so expensive and full of mystery ingredients.

I always start with my favorite, amazing Loudoun Lettuce.

Then, I add TOPPINGS.


This salad is made up of lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, frozen corn, cheese and a hardboiled egg. In the fun little container are roasted sweet potatoes and black beans. At the beginning of the week I try to prep either butternut squash or sweet potatoes and some kind of bean (I use dried to save money), then portion them out into these little containers to grab and go on weekdays. I really like to have something that I can heat up and put on top of my salad. It melts the cheese a little- yum!

Of course, if you know me you know that I'm all about the snacks. I don't really go anywhere without snacks! In addition to breakfast and lunch I also have a few afternoon snacks. Typically this will include fruit (right now I'm on an apple-a-day kick) and either a handful of nuts or granola. I try to drink tons of water while I'm at work and always start my day with coffee. Most days I enjoy hot tea in the afternoon too.

No comments:

Post a Comment