Saturday, March 9, 2013

Green Berries

Avocados are my favorite berry.

Yep, apparently they are a berry. Thank you, Google. So, they're a berry and I love them. Although, I'm actually having an internal debate deciding if I like them more than raspberries.

I still like them A LOT. Sometimes I wish that I lived in California for the sole reason that avocados are like $.50 down there.

I don't think I ever liked avocado before college, but then I tried guacamole and I haven't looked back.

DSCN2041 001
Guacamole is delicious and that's probably how I consume 50% of the avocados that I eat. The other 50% is split between a few traditional recipes, and a few non-traditional.

On ahi tuna salad.

DSCN1800

On a burger.

DSCN1998
On a sandwich.

DSCN2030

I love sliced avocado on salads, sandwiches and wraps (easily replaces mayo), but I have a few other go-to recipes that I love.

DSCN2296
Green Goddess Salad Dressing from Oh She Glows

Easily my favorite salad dressing of all time. I prefer creamier dressings like Ranch or Russian, which are usually really complicated to make from scratch. This version is super easy.

Dark Chocolate Mousse from PB Fingers

Sounds gross, right? If I made this for you and didn't tell you what was in it, you would assume this was a ridiculously complicated recipe. It has THREE ingredients- avocado, cocoa powder and honey (I've used maple syrup, too). Just get all the lumps out and no one will be able to tell the difference. I like this recipe a lot because it's dairy free. (This was featured in my V-day Post/ chocolate recipe round-up, where I mentioned how I like to double the recipe and add it to this crust.)

Creamy Avocado Pasta from Oh She Glows

Another creamy, dairy-free recipe. I think this recipe might be a little more of an acquired taste… I'm confident that the dressing and the mousse will be universally enjoyed. Just know that leftovers don't really work (they turn brown- although I still eat them!) and that the sauce should taste pretty salty before you add it to the pasta. 

DSCN2298
My future plans for avocado involve egg salad, because I've seen the idea posted about 1,000 times on Pinterest over the past week.

NewImage
I also have some plans to involve an avocado in an upcoming smoothie recipe.

What's YOUR favorite way to eat avocado?

No comments:

Post a Comment