Sunday, March 17, 2013

Comfort Foods

Brian's been getting over a cold this weekend, so we've been laying low, taking naps and eating comfort foods!

Friday night was the classic comfort meal- meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

DSCN2322
It was pretty good, but it was more of an Italian-style meatloaf recipe and I think I prefer barbecue-style meatloaf. Unfortunately that is going to have to hold off until my barbecue sauce supply is restocked at the end of the month!

We ate dinner in front of the TV that night because Syracuse and Georgetown were playing in the Big East (basketball) Tournament. That was a fun night because Syracuse WON. Syracuse lost horribly the last time they played Georgetown and I am very glad they had a chance to make things right. It was a really exciting game that went into overtime and it was good to see both teams playing competitively for the last time they will play each other in the Big East. In case you are wondering, we will not be discussing the rest of the tournament.

Saturday morning started off slow… I woke up at the typical 7:30 AM, but Brian slept for an impressive 12 hours which meant breakfast a little late.

DSCN2334
Crepes!

Crepes

Makes 8 crepes

Ingredients

  • 1 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
  • Additional coconut oil to coat the pan

Directions

  1. Mix flour, eggs, milk and water in a bowl
  2. If your coconut oil is solid melt it in the microwave while you combine the other ingredients
  3. Add coconut oil to the mix and combine well
  4. Heat a crepe pan or a round non-stick pan and coat with coconut oil
  5. Pour 1/4 cup of the crepe batter into the center of the pan and swirl so the batter spreads into a large circle
  6. Cook for about 30 seconds over medium high heat, or until you see the batter is cooked through the center; flip and cook another 10 seconds
  7. Repeat until crepe batter is gone- be sure to coat the pan with oil before each crepe

Tips:

  • Melt the coconut oil in a small dish and after you pour it into the batter, there should be extra left on the bottom of the dish. I dip a silicone pastry brush into that and use it to coat the pan.
  • Turn off the heat when each crepe is done, then remove the crepe and pour on new batter before turning the heat on again- it helps to keep the pan from getting too hot. You can also work carefully on two burners- one burner on, one burner off.
  • To keep the crepes warm while you make up the whole batch, place the crepes on a baking sheet in the oven set at about 270F.

DSCN2335

Brian bought me a crepe pan for Christmas a few years ago and we have them about once a month or so. I actually eat them in a stack like pancakes, but sometimes we do a more traditional fold with fruit and other fillings.

The weather yesterday was incredible! We had all been expecting nothing but rain this weekend, so it was a nice surprise to have 60 degree weather.

I decided to get my long run done yesterday, and completed nine miles pretty easily. It's always a surprise on my runs… sometimes 9 miles might be incredibly difficult and another day it can feel like nothing! Not sure what causes that, but I certainly appreciate it on the days it feels good. I picked up the pace on the last mile and sprinted the last quarter mile, then I came home and completed my 60 Rep Ab Circuit before starting dinner.

I have been waiting on this dinner for an entire year.

DSCN2336
Corned Beef and Cabbage! We had our festive meal a day early because we have plans tonight. Please know that this is NOT picture of my plate- it's the serving platter. Some of the corned beef is hidden under the cabbage and I was really excited that we even have leftovers of this. I can never tell how much corned beef I'm buying because it cooks down so much.

Since I follow Whole Foods on Twitter, I saw that they actually had corned beef this year- I could not find this anywhere but Safeway last year. I wish they sold corned beef at the market, but you have to buy a brisket and 'corn' (?) it yourself. My fridge is definitely not big enough to brine meat for a week so that's not an option for me.

On the schedule for today is the typical trip to the farmer's market, a trip to the grocery store, a short run and then heading to a party in the evening.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment