Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Egg Noodle Nostalgia

Last week the April issue of Cooking Light arrived in my mailbox and over the weekend I went through and marked up the recipes I wanted to try.

DSCN2347

I'm not one to stick to a recipe, so most of the time I use this magazine as inspiration. Tonight I was "inspired" by one of the recipes- Beef Stroganoff. In my version I cut back on the meat, upped the veggies and noodles, and made a few other changes.

DSCN2343

I originally planned to make a chicken recipe this week, especially because we just had meatloaf on Friday and corned beef on Saturday, but chicken was hard to come by at the market this week so we switched it up and went with beef. I bought a 1.6 lb round eye roast and plan on using it in two recipes this week- one recipe tonight and the other dinner will show up later in the week. This cut of meat will probably be great in the second dish, but it was a little tough for this one so I'd recommend using a loin cut. 

When I first started cooking, egg noodles were a regular occurrence in the kitchen, but it's been awhile since I've used them. When I make fresh pasta it's always an egg pasta, but it doesn't have the same childhood nostalgia as store-bought egg noodles. When I stopped by the store to pick them up (I forgot to get some on my weekly grocery trip Sunday), I noticed they had a whole wheat version. Then I read the ingredient list and learned the whole wheat version did not contain eggs. That would certainly not cut it with my dining companion. Sometimes you just have to go with the real thing! I'm sure we'll live.

Weeknight Beef Stroganoff

Ingredients

  • 1 package egg noodles*
  • 1 tablespoon butter*
  • 1/2 pound beef (loin cut), sliced into bite-sized pieces 
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I used safflower)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 14 oz sliced mushrooms* (I used a combo of cremini and portabella)
  • 1 shallot*
  • 4 cloves garlic*
  • 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour*
  • 1 cup veggie broth*
  • 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt* (I used 2%)
*indicates where I variated from the Cooking Light version

Directions

  1. Boil the noodles according to directions on package and stir in 1 tablespoon butter
  2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan and add beef; sprinkle with salt and pepper
  3. Cook beef through and then transfer to a bowl using a slotted spoon
  4. Add the rest of the olive oil, mushrooms, shallot, garlic and thyme to pan and cook for about 2 minutes
  5. Place a cover on the pan and cook for another 4 minutes
  6. Remove cover and sprinkle mushrooms with flour; stir together
  7. Add veggie broth to the pan and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for a 2 minutes
  8. Add Greek yogurt to the mixture and then the beef
  9. Serve beef and mushrooms on top of egg noodles

DSCN2345

We made two giant servings out of this, but I was really full and I think that if you serve a side (Cooking Light recommends glazed carrots) this would easily serve four. I was definitely worried that it wouldn't be 'meaty' enough because I was cutting back, but there was no need to worry because even Brian agreed that there was enough meat. I am not sure how Cooking Light imagined that 5 oz of uncooked egg noodles would be a sufficient amount- if you're making four servings, definitely cook more egg noodles! Our package was 12 oz.

It was kind of like a health-ified hamburger helper- maybe that sounds bad, but I seriously loved that stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment