Friday, March 1, 2013

Eggplant Pizza Pasta Toppers

I used to love going to Olive Garden. That salad dressing was awesome and I'm pretty sure the waiters always had to bring more breadsticks to my table. For my entree, I had a few top choices. For awhile it was stuffed manicotti, then it was chicken parmesan and then one day I tried eggplant parmesan.

It was amazing because it tasted as good as chicken parm, but with any of the pieces of dried chicken. Eggplant parmesan is fried goodness with gooey eggplant in the middle. 

Still love it.

I had leftover pizza sauce and mozzarella from pizza night last week and I decided to create eggplant pizzas.

DSCN2191

Eggplant Pizza Pasta Toppers

Ingredients

  • 1 medium eggplant
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 cup pizza sauce
  • 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions

  1. Create an assembly line of three bowls- one with 1/2 cup flour, one with the eggs and one with the rest of the flour mixed with the salt and pepper
  2. Slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch rounds
  3. Put those slices through the assembly line- dust with flour, coat with egg and then coat again with flour
  4. Coat a pan with about a 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and heat until it sizzle when you drop a tiny pinch of flour- add eggplant
  5. Allow eggplant to cook on medium heat for about 2 minutes and then flip and cook another 2 minutes or so
  6. Remove eggplant from pan and place on a large baking sheet
  7. Rinse pan and repeat steps 4- 5 with remaining slices of eggplant
  8. When all of the slices are on the baking sheet, top each slice with a little pizza sauce and mozzarella
  9. Place under broiler for about a minute, watch carefully and remove when the cheese is melted. Serves 4.

Delish.

DSCN2193

I put the baking sheet out when I have the assembly line going and put the dredged slices on that, then remove a few at a time for frying and replacing them for broiling- saves cleaning time. 

We put them on top of some freshly made pasta tossed with olive oil and butter, then we ate them all (so much for 4 servings). Minus two of Brian's. He just can't keep up with me sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. Eggplant parmesan is amazing!! I love your idea of using eggplant to make mini pizzas. That is so clever and I am sure that they are VERY tasty :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to go wrong with eggplant + cheese!

      Delete