Saturday, March 2, 2013

Spinach and Basil Pesto

When basil is in season, I find myself making pesto nearly once a week. Most of the time, I make a dairy free version that includes roasted red pepper to cut some of the bitterness and add a little extra flavor. I didn't have a pepper on hand tonight, but I do have a whole bunch of spinach that I didn't end up using this week.

Pesto is amazing on pasta, but it is amazing on about 1,000 other things as well- including salmon. 

DSCN2204

So yesterday I grabbed some basil and Brian grabbed some wine and we were ready to go.

DSCN2196wine

Spinach and Basil Pesto

Ingredients

  • 1 cup spinach leaves
  • 1 cup basil leaves
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

  1. Put everything together in a food processor and mix

I defrosted some salmon fillets that I had in the freezer, spread the pesto on top and baked them at 400F for ten minutes- as soon as its flakey it's good.

DSCN2201

The spinach pesto was a complete success. I think its a pretty even toss up between this and the red pepper version, and in the future it will just come down to whether I have pepper or spinach on hand. I also didn't add pine nuts into this version, which was kind of an accident, but it worked out because I didn't miss them at all. 

Roast cabbage on the side!

When I was out to brunch with some of my friends last week, we got around to talking about creative ways to eat vegetables and one of my friends talked about how you can roast cabbage just like Brussels sprouts. It makes sense because Brussels sprouts are basically mini cabbages.

This was my first attempt and it was only so-so. Next time I will cut out the tough center, and cut the pieces down a little smaller. I was trying to be fancy and make the cabbage hold that wedge shape. 

Cabbage

It looks good, right? The crunchy outside pieces were amazing. Now I just want the whole bit to taste like that. Try, try again :)

This weekend is looking good. In just a bit, I am heading to a baby shower for a good friend, and then Brian and I have plans to maybe see a movie and visit an incredibly special piece of art before it heads back to Italy!

2 comments:

  1. No nuts? I'm sold! I've been looking for an excuse to use my food processor.. looks like I just found it. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like it! Let me know what you think if you try it out.

    ReplyDelete