Friday, March 22, 2013

Success!

After last night's salmon was a flop (obviously, I was more excited about the delivery of my toilet paper than my dinner), I was ready for a meal I could get excited about...

DSCN2359
Another Cooking Light inspiration! I followed this recipe fairly closely- quarter and boil potatoes, mix up a dressing (white wine vinegar, sugar, whole grain Dijon mustard, salt and pepper) and 'deglaze' (kind of) the pan with the dressing after you cook the steak. Toss with arugula (I threw in a head of red oak lettuce too) and top with the steak. This was definitely a better use for the cut of steak we had.

See those chips on the side? I made those too!

DSCN2358
I saw these on Pinterest yesterday afternoon and thought they would be great as a side. The recipe comes from Life as a Strawberry. I had leftover wonton wrappers in the freezer from an earlier recipe and this was a really creative way to use them up! Jessie tops hers with salt, pepper, parsley and parmesan. I used salt, pepper, dried basil and parmesan. I think next time I'll leave out the salt because the parmesan really had the saltiness covered.

Slice your wonton wrappers in half and lay them out on a baking sheet. Use a pastry brush to spread with olive oil, add a dash of pepper and a sprinkle of basil, then place a generous portion of shredded parmesan on top. Bake at 375F for 7- 8 minutes. I baked them for 8 and I wish I had removed them just one minute earlier.

As I mentioned, I used this recipe to take care of some leftover wonton wrappers, but I actually might buy wonton wrappers now specifically for this recipe!

2 comments:

  1. Those chips look awesome! And what a wonderfully creative way to use up leftover wonton wrappers. I never know what to do with the extras!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either! I'm thinking maybe a sweet version next time. Coconut oil with cinnamon and sugar?

      Delete