Monday, March 4, 2013

The National Gallery of Art

DSCN2251
The National Gallery of Art had a Michelangelo sculpture on display running from December 13- March 3. I've been talking about it since December, but it wasn't until March 3 that Brian and I actually made our way over to the museum. I <3 DC's free museums!

The Gallery had the Apollo-David on display (not the famous Florentine David) and considering that I once spent a semester writing a 20 page paper about Michelangelo's David (the famous one), I really wanted to go see it.

DSCN2246
As far as I know, there's only one Michelangelo sculpture that's in a US museum so it was exciting to see this.

I've never seen the 'real' David in Florence, but comparatively, this one is about 4 1/2 feet and that one is 17 feet. It's also significantly more detailed. Because it is unfinished, they're not sure if this version is David, or Apollo.

We ended up just going through the sculpture galleries, a special exhibit on American furniture and then browsing a few paintings on the main level as we checked out the Michelangelo sculpture. The nice thing about not having to pay to go into a museum is that you can just look around at a little bit and not feel like you can get the whole museum in at once. An entire museum at one time is too much for my brain!

I have a weird affinity for tapestries...
NGA Rooms
Some of the sculptures were encased, so you see a little glare. I am always so impressed. I took a sculpture class once and I was shocked by how bad I was at it.
NGA Sculpture1
NGA Sculpture2
Does anyone NOT like Degas?
NGA Sculpture4\
NGA Sculpture5
NGA Sculpture6

No comments:

Post a Comment