Sunday, March 24, 2013

Weekend Eats

Weekendeats
I tested out a whole bunch of techniques this weekend,

  • Sweet Potatoes: Soak in ice water, dry and toss in cornstarch before baking for crispy fries. I think this only worked so-so. For some reason I am terrible at making sweet potato fries. I can never get it right. Brian is much better at it. 
  • Cauliflower Fried Rice: This recipe went WAY better than expected. You basically grate a cauliflower and use that as the rice in fried rice. It was amazing and really, really filling. You can see the whole recipe I followed on Fresh Family Meals
  • Grapefruit Brûlée: Halve a grapefruit, top each half with a teaspoon of brown sugar and place it under the broiler. This was really good- but the brown sugar didn't form a crackling, creme brûlée type crust. I kind of expected this. Clearly I need a kitchen blow torch. 

DSCN2380
Sunday morning has started off nice and lazy. I'm watching this week's episode of Grey's Anatomy on DVR, enjoying some breakfast and some coffee. Also, waiting for Pioneer Woman to come on Food Network. Food blogger turned Food Network Star!

Weekendcoffee
New coffee! I've started buying coffee at Trader Joe's. Actually, I've started buying a lot more at Trader Joe's to save money. I was excited to see a Costa Rican coffee. Brian went to Costa Rica last summer and brought back some coffee- it was delicious. All of the other Costa Rican coffee's I've found (at Whole Foods) have been really expensive. This one is good!

Pumpkin pancakes were also made. Pumpkin pancakes do not really taste like pumpkin. They just have a more dense texture that I love. I also think they really compliment whole wheat flour- the extra moisture makes it way less noticeable. I'd recommend trying this recipe if you want to make some whole wheat pancakes for someone without them knowing :)

DSCN2371

Pumpkin Pancakes

Serves 4 (I halved the recipe this time!)

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil (you could also use unsalted butter, or salted butter and omit the salt)
  • Additional coconut oil (for pan)
  • Butter and maple syrup (for topping)

Directions

  1. Mix together dry ingredients, then add wet and just mix until smooth
  2. Heat pan to medium and lightly coat with coconut oil, add about 1/4 cup of batter
  3. The density of the pancakes makes them less likely to "bubble" which is the normal indicator of when to flip; look for the edges of the pancakes to begin to solidify and flip
  4. Cook for another 45 seconds and then place in the oven (270F) to keep warm while you make the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment