Thursday, April 11, 2013

Hot Time in the Old Town

DC tends to transition from winter to summer at high speed. Last week I was wearing my winter coat to walk to work and yesterday I was sweating in a sleeveless top.

I think we'll likely have a bit more of spring, as temperatures are supposed to hang back in the 60s and 70s for awhile, and I am REALLY looking forward to that. It is too soon for this heat!

Brian has been away for work the past few days, and he arrived home last night when I was working on dinner. When I was at my conference on Sunday, Brian was in charge of picking up food at the market and he bought some amazing grass-fed steak and Brussels sprouts (maybe the last of the year?). I added some Trader Joe's potatoes to the mix and we had a really nice meal.

DSCN2712
The Brussels sprouts were particularly outstanding. I had actually thought that I saw collard greens in the fridge, and so I started to prep that dish. When I realized it was kale, I decided that Brussels sprouts would go better with the collards prep, so I swapped veggies. Such a good plan! These taste like the Brussels sprouts you order at a restaurant. A lot like the ones we had at Range actually, with WAY less salt.

Restaurant Style Brussels Sprouts

Ingredients

  • 1 slice bacon
  • 1 shallot
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 pound Brussels sprouts, sliced in half
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

  1. Dice up the bacon and shallot and add it to a large sauté pan; cook for 3 minutes over medium heat
  2. Add olive oil to the pan, allow to heat then add Brussels sprouts
  3. Cover pan and cook for about 3 minutes
  4. Increase heat to medium-high and add balsamic, maple syrup and salt/pepper
  5. Cook for 1-2 minutes more until the Brussels sprouts get nice and crispy on the edges

These stole the show.

For dessert, I had two options. I was thinking that I would either make Katie's Chocolate Chip Blondies, or Angela's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Blizzard. The deciding factor would be how hot it was after having the oven and stove on to make dinner. Either way, I was prepared with some dark chocolate chunks that I picked up at Whole Foods. For some reason I just prefer chunks over chips.

The blizzard won by a landslide.

The 'cookie dough' is so easy to mix up in a food processor, and its way healthier than any traditional cookie recipe. The base is made up of cashews, oats and whole wheat flour.

DSCN2713
The recipe calls for sugar- I leave it out sometimes and can't tell the difference- and whole wheat pastry flour- I use regular. After you mix it up, form small cookie dough balls and toss in the freezer.

DSCN2714
Then I mixed up 1.5 frozen bananas, 1 teaspoon of peanut butter and milk. Once that's pretty well blended, add in a handful of cookie dough balls.

DSCN2715
Blend a bit and top with MORE cookie dough.

DSCN2716
Amazing.

DSCN2717
I had hoped this would cool us down before bed, but it was a brutal night and I was SO HOT. We got rid of our old air conditioner last fall, and haven't purchased a new one yet. I can promise we will be doing that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment