Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Spring Pork Chops

When I was at the market on Sunday, I was kind of hoping for chicken, but I still haven't been able to find anything. There is a ton of red meat, pork, turkey and sausages though and I decided to go with pork chops and figured I could do something Spring-y with them. With pork chops, I'll often bread them and bake them or smother them in barbecue sauce and bake them, but the breading seemed like a Winter-y approach and we just had barbecued ribs last weekend.

In the end, I decided on a mustard glaze. It was the right choice.

DSCN2953
I served some roasted asparagus as a side. Dinner was delicious, but a little light so we ended the meal with some Cookie Dough Blizzards.

Mustard Glazed Pork Chops

Serves 2

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I used sunflower)
  • 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
  • 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 1tablespoon white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 French cut pork chops (regular would work too)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. In a glass baking dish, add the vegetable oil, mustards, honey and vinegar; mix well with a fork
  3. Salt and pepper one side of the pork chops then place that side facedown in the glaze
  4. Salt and pepper the face up side of the chop and then use a baster or a basting brush to cover the top of the chops with glaze
  5. Cover dish with aluminum foil and place in the oven for 30 minutes
  6. After 30 minutes, remove foil and flip over the pork chops; place back in oven, uncovered, for another 30 minutes

DSCN2956
I love the method of having the foil seal for the first half of the cook time, to keep the meat really juicy, and then removing it for the second half to let the outside sear and get a bit crispy. I also liked mixing up my glaze or marinade right in the dish I was using, which cut back on the amount of dirty dishes. New kitchen strategy!

We've always purchased regular cut pork chops before and I hadn't expected anything to be different about the French-cut other than the bone, but the chop was way less fatty than usual. Just enough to give the meat some flavor, but not anything ridiculous.

2 comments:

  1. These sounds delicious. Haven't heard of French cut before.

    A.D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either! The staff at the market were talking about how the French cut chops were going really quickly... I'm not sure I would have even realized I was buying something new if they hadn't said anything though!

      Delete