Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Back to Normal

Things are slowly getting back to normal around here. Yesterday, I went into work and came home and made dinner. Sounds about right!

The days already feel so different to me without my morning runs. Not only is my routine out of whack, but I'm not getting the rush of endorphins that comes with exercise and I think it makes me feel a little blah. I have woken up at 6 AM (or earlier!) just about every day, including the past two days, which gives me a ton of time before work. I have started packing my lunch in the morning, blogging in the morning, and taking some extra time to walk to work. Normally, I am all about speed walking and between 8:30- 9:30 AM and 5- 6 PM the sidewalks of DC are like an aggressive racecourse. It's not easy to slow down!

When I got home last night, I received something really exciting in the mail. It was the full report of my visit to the ER and everything that happened in the hospital. I sat down with Google and read every word. I also had to Google about 1/3 of the words, but I thought it was SO interesting! There weren't really any surprises, but it was cool to read.

Then I got around to making dinner. I actually ended up working late yesterday, so dinner happened pretty late.

DSCN3033
I roasted up some potatoes (just a little olive oil, salt and rosemary at 375F for about 40 minutes). I love potatoes, especially when they are super crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. These were perfect. Roasted asparagus and sautéed greens on the side.

In my effort to cut back on oils, I kind of steamed the greens. Just fill your biggest sauté pan to the brim with your greens, then add a few tablespoons of water to the bottom of the pan and cover. Let it cook down, then finish with a spritz of olive oil and some salt.

We had some mahi-mahi over a salad the night before, and there was a ton leftover so I made them into fish cakes. They were really great, and this is such a good way to use up leftover fish.

I didn't have any breadcrumbs, so I just popped a slice of bread in the toaster and then broke it down in my blender (the food processor was dirty).

I used my cookie scoop to make all of the little fish cakes perfectly uniform. Maybe I'm a little crazy, but its the small things that make me happy :) A cookie scoop was one of the first things I bought when I moved from a dorm room to an apartment with a kitchen! I just can't make misshapen chocolate chip cookies. Drives me crazy.

Fish Cakes

Serves 2

Ingredients

  • 1 cup leftover (cooked and seasoned) fish, shredded
  • 1 tablespoon mayonaise
  • 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
  • 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1 egg

Directions

  1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, being careful to minimize the mixing time so that the fish doesn't become mush.
  2. Using a spoon or a cookie scoop, scoop out eight small piles of the mixture and flatten to form patties.
  3. Spray (or lightly coat) a large saute pan with olive oil and heat medium-high.
  4. Add fish patties and cook for two minutes on each side, adding another spray of olive oil to the pan if needed when flipping. 

DSCN3034
The fish cakes would also be great on salads or you could make them larger and serve them on a bun. Even Brian was a fan and I don't think leftover fish is really high on his list. I was pumped because the mahi-mahi was only $6 and we got two meals out of it- such a good deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment