Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Gratitude

The news last night was pretty devastating, and it doesn't seem to be getting much better this morning. I certainly have Moore, OK in my thoughts today and I am remembering to be extra grateful for my family, friends, health and home. 

A question came to mind last night when I was watching the news, and Brian and I started to talk about it a little bit, so I had to do some research this morning.

Why don't tornadoes it big cities? The answer: They do (or at least, they can),  but the odds are less simply because there is a lot more open/ rural land than urban. 

I came across some other interesting facts today too:

  • Violent tornadoes are fairly rare outside of the United States, although a few significant tornadoes occur each year in Europe, Asia, Southern Africa and South America.
  • North America's geography contributes to the frequency of tornados- the continent extends from the tropics into the arctic without a major mountain range spanning east to west which would block the air flow. "Tornado Alley" has more frequent tornadoes because of the pressure created as air flows east off of the Rocky Mountains. 
  • Tornados occur most frequently during the spring.
  • The most devastating tornado in the US occurred in 1925 when 695 people were killed. The tornado that struck in Joplin, MO in 2011 was the most deadly in recent history with 158 deaths. 

I'm one of those people who is always comforted by information, although some of what I learned simply made me more grateful that I just don't live in an area that experiences frequent (if any) tornadoes because there is such a lack of information. We have so much information and technology today, but humans are still no match for nature.

I was planning dinner for the night when reports of the tornado first came out, and maybe that's why I gravitated towards something really comforting.

DSCN3061

We had salmon, sweet potatoes and kale chips.

I was coming home late last night, and this was both comforting and quick to put together. I made the sweet potatoes in the microwave for the first time- 5 minutes, then 2 minutes, then 2 minutes more. I also put them in the oven with the salmon for the last 10 minutes of cook time at 400F. I definitely prefer the roasted flavor that comes when you bake the potatoes the whole time, but this was a decent quick-fix. 

The salmon was Wild- Caught Coho Salmon from Canada. Coho salmon has a green rating on the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch program. That means that the species of fish is abundant and that the fishing method used causes little damage to the natural habitat. It is also significantly less than Alaskan Salmon, but provides the nutrients that you can expect from a wild caught fish (more omegas than farmed fish). I don't see it in Whole Foods too often, but I always like to buy some when I do. 

DSCN3064

No comments:

Post a Comment