Thursday, May 23, 2013

Have you heard?

The 7 Minute Workout

Over the past couple of weeks, I keep hearing about this 7 Minute Workout that supposedly provides the same health benefits as endurance training- but obviously in way less time.

I've definitely heard about the benefits of interval training before, and I know that doing interval workouts is really important in building fitness, but I'm definitely doubtful about this one. It's described as high intensity circuit training (HICT), and again- I think it's great, but I would probably add it into another workout.

I haven't been able to try it yet, but I will add it to my list!

Could eating less save your brain?

This is an interesting one. Remember a few years back when we heard that eating a very low calorie diet would make you live longer? This one says that they deceased calories by 30 percent (in mice) and found that it prevented neurodegenergation- which was exhibited through learning and memory deficits.

Interestingly, I think that 30 percent figure is close to the amount that they recommended to live longer- it was an incredibly restrictive number of calories at about 1,000/ day. If you figure the average person is supposed to be eating 1,500, then that's pretty close. It's not that I don't believe the research… just that I don't think I could function on 1,000 calories and I'm not sure how practical this one is. Sounds miserable, right?

Bacon: Key to living a long life.

We have all heard this one. Someone asks a 105-year-old woman how she managed to live so long and she answers: bacon.

It's funny, and I think most everyone realizes that while comical, its not true. There was a study in the 1990s/ 2000s that tracked the amount of processed meat that people consumed. The more processed meats that someone consumed, the higher their risk of death from heart conditions or cancer.

The study did not find a link between early death with eating unprocessed red meat- like a steak- which I think only touts the importance of an unprocessed, whole foods diet. That said, I totally eat bacon. You can find bacon that is made with only pork and salt. Just check labels for weird words that you don't understand; that means that the pork has been processed with non-food chemicals.

No comments:

Post a Comment