Monday, May 6, 2013

Still Here!

I can't believe that it has been five days since my last post! Hopefully no one assumed that I have fallen off the face of the earth, because I am certainly still here.

Wednesday evening when I was walking home from work, my lung collapsed.

Surprise!

Isn't that shocking? I work out every day and eat tons of vegetables. I've never smoked, and when it comes to drinking I mostly stick to a glass or two of red wine. I'm not overweight, and I'm not underweight. Brian jokes that I'm going to live to 110. But, apparently I am not so invincible. 

The good news is that I will heal. Last week, a drainage tube was inserted into my chest cavity and all of the air that leaked out of my lung was suctioned out. The tube stayed in for a few days and this morning Brian and I are heading back to the hospital to have it removed. I'll follow up with a pulmonologist (lung doctor) to make sure that I do not have any type of underlying condition, but most likely it was just a random event without a cause.

In addition to learning a lot about hospitals, lungs and various pain medications, I also learned how incredibly important it is to have a primary care physician that you trust! I write a lot about living a healthy lifestyle, but truthfully I think this is the most important thing you can do for your health.

When my lung collapsed, I was actually outside of an urgent care facility and walked in. They kept me from passing out, and confirmed that I was not having a heart attack (it felt like it!), but then they sent me home and told me to take some Advil. I wanted to confirm their diagnosis, which was basically just that I had pain and it would go away, so I scheduled an appointment with my primary care physician. It was that doctor who sent me to the emergency room and started the process.

If I didn't have a primary care physician, I would have probably just accepted what urgent care told me and my lung would have continued to collapse (it was at 40% when I went in). That's a scary thought.

Hopefully all goes well today and I'l be back tomorrow to share all of the delicious foods that Brian made me while I was stuck on the couch!

2 comments:

  1. Kim! I miss you here at the office! I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you-- I hope you make a speedy and full recovery!

    xo

    ReplyDelete