Friday, June 7, 2013

BBQ Heaven

Happy Friday! I am very much looking forward to this weekend. It's my last weekend in DC until 4th of July weekend; I have a LOT of travel coming up. I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to manage grocery shopping and food prep without my weekends, but I guess I'm about to find out! Most of the travel is for pleasure anyway and I'm looking forward to that.

Just because I'll be in town this weekend, doesn't mean it's going to be relaxed… I have a lot of plans! Hopefully the weather turns around. Last night's Nationals/ Mets game wasn't pretty:

BMJ7KBiCYAEssj3 jpg large copy 2
It didn't happen. After about an hour they decided to postpone the game, so we have to decide if we'll go back for an afternoon game in July to use our tickets. Instead of the game, we headed over to Barracks Row for dinner at Cava Mezze with our friends. We were lucky to be able to get in right away (we were soaked so that was a plus) and the food was really good- the grilled octopus, beet tartare and Brussels sprouts were my favorite.

If you're looking to have a nice meal at home this weekend, I think this one might be a winner. It's a traditional summer recipe, but something that is NOT traditionally prepared on a grill- which I can't have- so I like it a whole lot.

Awhile ago, I shared a recipe for pulled pork. It's super delicious, but involves more than two seconds worth of my effort, so when I was in lazy-mode it just didn't make the cut.

I still wanted pulled pork. Enter the easiest recipe ever:

Easiest Ever Pulled Pork

Ingredients

  • 1 cup barbecue sauce (recommended: Dinosaur BBQ)
  • 1 pork shoulder
  • 1 red onion, thinly sliced

Directions

  1. Place pork shoulder in crock pot, sprinkle on onion and cover with sauce
  2. Cook on low for 6-8 hours
  3. Remove from crock pot and shred

Amazinggg.

We had it the first night on fresh homemade pita.

DSCN3074
Sides of homemade baked beans and kale chips.

DSCN3073
 The second night, on some homemade tortillas with avocado.

DSCN3081
Can't go wrong.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always looking for a fast way to pull my pork, and now I've found it.

    ReplyDelete