Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Berry Delicious

DSCN3132

Crumbles are my favorite type of fruit dessert. They are super easy, super impressive and super sneaky. You can sneak all kinds of ingredients into them without anyone noticing!

To start off, I feel like the crumble is at an advantage over the pie because pies have a top and bottom crust. Just get rid of the bottom crust and replace it with more fruit. Practically low cal. 

I actually really love blueberry pie filling, so when I made this crumble I looked to pie recipes for inspiration. I think traditionally a crumble filling is a little more basic and a pie filling is more gooey. Good stuff. 

The top has oatmeal and I love oatmeal, so its really ideal. Organic blueberries were $1.99 a pint at Whole Foods last week, so I bought four of them and turned two into this dish. You can use any kind of berry you like- I enjoy a combo of blueberry, strawberry and blackberry. I've even used frozen berries before because they get all baked up and it hardly matters. In the fall I'm all about the apple, and with peach season on its way in I have a feeling a peach crumble will be coming out of my oven soon. Mix it up!

By the way, this isn't exactly healthy. It does have some nutritious ingredients. There are still a lot of calories and there is plenty of sugar- although less than most other crumble recipes- so its not an everyday kind of dessert! I'll stick to my frosty's the rest of the week!

DSCN3136

Berry Delicious Crumble

Ingredients

Filling

  • 2 pints (or 4 cups) berries
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Topping

  • 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
  • 2 tablespoons flour (white whole wheat/ whole wheat)
  • 2 tablespoons almond flour (or more regular flour)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup slivered almonds (optional)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. Combine all of the filling ingredients in a bowl and mix well, pour into a pie pan
  3. Wipe bowl and fill with topping ingredients, mix well
  4. Crumble the topping over the filling
  5. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes
  6. Remove from oven and allow to cool at least 20 minutes before serving

I highly recommend vanilla ice cream on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment