Thursday, June 27, 2013

[Blog] Love Me

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

^ Familiar with Bloglovin? Maybe not, but my beloved Google Reader is going to disappear in less than a week and it's really time to move on. I know they told us months ago, but I've been continuing to visit www.google.com/reader every day and clicking away that annoying message telling me that it won't be available beginning July 1. 



However, it's really come to the point I can't ignore it anymore. I've added all of my Reader blogs to both Feedly and Bloglovin to see how I like them.



In case you are in the dark here, Google Reader is an app that you can go on and read all of the blogs you choose to follow in one place. It's so easy. Bloglovin and Feedly provide the same service, but in their attempts to be a little fancier, I actually find them more annoying. Currently, Bloglovin is winning because when you read blogs through that application, bloggers receive page views, whereas when you read a blog on Feedly it does not show the blogger that you've read their content. Page view counts are about as exciting as it gets, so I'm trying to help my fellow bloggers out and encourage you to do the same :)



Now, let's talk food. My  mother seems concerned that I've been posting an assortment of topics on my FOOD blog, so I've decided to get back to it. 

Lately, I've been putting together some grain-based side dishes.

I love that they're inexpensive and the ingredients tend to be in my kitchen at all times- grains bought in bulk, dried herbs, frozen vegetables, etc.



I also love that I can make large quantities and eat them for lunches the rest of the week. 

I also love when I'm not the only one who loves them!



Brian's not a big white rice guy. He also isn't a fan of cold pasta salads. I get that and sometimes I still make them and he eats it, but isn't it so much more fun to make something that you know your dining companion is going to love?

Start with an inexpensive whole grain, in this case it was brown rice. Then get creative with your favorite flavors- sauteed garlic and onion. Think texture and add pine nuts. Now, add frozen spinach simply because it goes with everything.



DSCN3300

Spinach and Pine Nut Rice-A-Roni


Serves four



Ingredients


  • 2  cups unsalted vegetable broth (preferably homemade)
  • 
1 cup brown rice
  • 
1/2 onion

  • 3 cloves garlic

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

  • 1/4 cup pine nuts

  • 1 cup frozen chopped spinach
  • 
salt and pepper, to taste



Directions


  1. Add broth and brown rice to a sauce pan and bring to a boil; then, reduce heat to low and put a lid on it until all of the broth is absorbed- about 20 minutes
  2. 
While the rice is simmering, chop up your onions and garlic

  3. Add onions and garlic to a saute pan with the olive oil and cook over medium heat for about 7 minutes

  4. Remove onions and garlic from heat and add pine nuts

  5. When the rice has absorbed all of the broth, remove the lid and add the onion mixture as well as the frozen spinach

  6. Continue to cook the rice on low for about 8 minutes, or just until the spinach is defrosted and the rice is hot

  7. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper, to taste

It helped that I served this alongside some incredible pork chops. Honestly, some of the best pork chops I've ever made. I didn't think I would eat this whole plate, but I totally did and it was totally worth it.

DSCN3306

No comments:

Post a Comment