Monday, July 1, 2013

Pork Chops Steal the Show

Travel completed! Brian and I spent the weekend in New York visiting his family and attending his sister Emily's college graduation party. When we go to New York City we usually travel by bus because it's so much more inexpensive than the train- $25 each way compared to $125 on Amtrak. Our trip up to New York was pretty uneventful, but the trip home ended up being a little extra long. We arrived home and collapsed.

From Pittsburgh, to Rochester, to Westchester. I wouldn't trade any of the travel- it was really nice to see our families and check out of our daily lives (I'm not one to turn down a three day weekend!), but I'm definitely looking ahead to our wonderful four day weekend of no plans! I'm even excited to go grocery shopping.

I mentioned to Brian today that I feel a little guilty that I'm already thinking ahead to fall. Isn't that wrong? I should be enjoying summer well we have it! He agreed that its hard to enjoy the summer weather in DC, but I'm still trying to forget about fall and live in the moment! I think once corn on the cob and peaches are out I'll feel better about things. (Maybe they are out? It's been awhile since I've been to the market!)

One of the things I love about fall is that it's nice and cool out so that maybe you open the window for awhile and get some fresh air, but then you close it and turn on the oven to make dinner and the warmth is comforting. In the summer, cooking is the opposite!

So why, you might ask, did I decide to make breaded pork chops in the summer? I'm not sure, but I'm so glad that I did because they were delicious.

DSCN3306
This was the pork chop I made to go along with my amazing side dish last week. I can't even pick a winner out of the two, but I promise that it wasn't those poor green beans.

Breaded and Baked Pork Chop

Serves 2

Ingredients

  • 2 pork chops
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 tablespoon Dijion mustard
  • 1/2 cup homemade breadcrumbs*
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400F
  2. Prepare your stations. Place flour on a plate, stir together egg and mustard in a dish, and combine breadcrumbs through pepper on another plate. Set a baking sheet as the last station.
  3. Run pork chops through the line- flour the chop, coat it with egg and then cover it in the breadcrumb mixture and place it on the baking sheet while you prepare the other.
  4. Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat
  5. Place chop on and cook for 5 minutes on each side. 
  6. Remove chops from pan and place them back onto the baking sheet and into the oven
  7. Bake chops at 400F for 15 minutes
  8. Remove from oven and allow chops to rest for at least five minutes before serving

*I like to make my own breadcrumbs by throwing stale, old bread into the food processor. If you don't have any old bread, just toast a couple of pieces, allow them to cool and then process.

The cooking time is going to depend on the thickness of your pork chops. Mine were almost an inch thick. Pork should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160F… mostly I just go with it once the meat is no long pink in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment