Friday, June 28, 2013

Running Update

It's been almost four weeks since I was cleared to start running again after my month off. I've been easing back into things, and I'm not yet back to where I was, but I know that I'm getting there.

In the month before my lung collapsed, I was running about 35 miles a week. An average week consisted of two 6 mile runs, three 5 mile runs, one eight mile run and an off day.

Then I took off for 34 days.

I wanted to share my return to running because I think many people find it difficult to figure out how to get back into the routine after an illness. Obviously, depending on the type of illness you have, things are going to vary so this isn't a plan I'm recommending to anyone- just sharing my own experience.

The weather has been a big factor in my return to running. It's important to run regularly when the weather is transitioning from cold to hot because it gives your body a chance to adjust slowly. I missed out on that month so I was jumping right in to hot, humid DC summer weather. I just kept this in mind and I haven't pushed myself at all. Even a month in, I'm not running hard yet- probably 9 minute pace or a little over that on all my runs.

DSCN2050

Week 1- 11 miles

  • Monday: 1 mile
  • Tuesday: 2 miles
  • Wednesday: 2 miles
  • Thursday: 2 miles
  • Friday: 2 miles
  • Saturday: Off
  • Sunday: 2 miles

Week 2- 16 miles

  • Monday: 2 miles
  • Tuesday: 2 miles
  • Wednesday: 3 miles
  • Thursday: Off
  • Friday: 3 miles
  • Saturday: 3 miles
  • Sunday: 3 miles

Week 3- 20 miles

  • Monday: Off
  • Tuesday: 3 miles
  • Wednesday: 3 miles
  • Thursday: 5 miles
  • Friday: Off
  • Saturday: 4 miles
  • Sunday: 5 miles

Week 4- 24 miles

  • Monday: Off
  • Tuesday: 4 miles
  • Wednesday: 4 miles
  • Thursday: 4 miles
  • Friday: 4 miles 
  • Saturday: 4 miles (guessing)
  • Sunday: 4 miles (guessing)

I'm really happy with the progression! I credit Brian for keeping me in check. I probably would have started to push it a little bit more if I was deciding this all on my own. A couple of weeks ago, it really felt like it would take forever to get back to where I was, but now I think I am getting close!

1 comment:

  1. So glad to see you are getting back into it! My hubs also keeps me in check... I'd probably go and try to run 5 miles on my first try if I didn't know better and had him reminding me. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete