Thursday, July 18, 2013

Civic Responsibility

I seem to be saying this a lot lately- but, this week is turning out to be a little hectic.

I have jury duty, for one thing. And I don't just have jury duty, I actually am on a jury! There were hundreds of people summoned yesterday and somehow I managed to get on an actual trial. Everyone always says to act crazy and you can get out of it, but all the ask is where you live and what you do for a living, etc. I don't see how you can swing that!

The first day wasn't too fun- we had to be in at 8 AM and I wasn't able to get a run in beforehand. We had an hour lunch break though and were able to leave at 4:45 PM so that isn't too tough. Today, I don't have to be at the courthouse until 10:15 AM so it's a nice leisurely morning.

I didn't bring my lunch with me yesterday because I didn't know what to expect. I don't plan on bringing anything again today because I don't really want to be sitting around the courthouse eating my food- I'd rather have a chance to get out and sit somewhere for an hour.

I used the Yelp app on my phone to see what lunch spots were near the court house yesterday and a place called Protein Bar came up. I had heard about it and saw they had some healthy options and smoothies so I decided to try that.

Photo2
I ordered a grilled Bar-rito (not sure what the deal is with the spelling) filled with quinoa, marinated tofu, beans and cheese. They use quinoa instead of rice to increase the protein. I also got the PBJ smoothie, which had milk, peanut butter, blueberries, strawberries and agave.

Photo
The bar-rito was pretty good. I felt like the seasoning relied a little too heavily on the salt, but other than that it was good. I'm not sure it was anything special (like, say, a Chipotle burrito), but I liked it.

Photo3
The smoothie was decent, but just too sweet. I wanted the 'jelly' to be a little more tart and I think the agave probably countered that. I liked that when I ordered they asked me what kind of milk I wanted (2%, skim, soy or almond), but I was a little thrown when they told me I could get a 'boost' for free. I ended up choosing an energy boost, but I have no idea what that means- it wasn't on the menu- and I really don't like putting random things into my body. Next time I'd probably just turn down the 'boost.'

I'll likely try somewhere else today, but they do offer fresh pressed juices so I might swing by for one of those!
After jury duty I headed over to Glen's Garden Market for a kick off event for Eat Local First Week. It's coming up next week! I learned a little bit more about the event and some of the sponsors, AND I had a chance to chat with the new chef from Glen's who was very cool. I plan to try out some of the foods we discussed and get back to you on that!

If you're not familiar with Eat Local First Week, it's basically a week long celebration of local foods. You can imagine, that's kind of my thing. I'm not sure which events I'll be able to attend yet, but if you're looking for something fun to do after work next week or during the day next Saturday, you should definitely check out the website. For example, if I drank beer I would almost certainly be heading to Meridian Pint next Thursday for some local brews! More to come on all this soon :)

Heading out to do my civic duty!

No comments:

Post a Comment