There are some foods that I could eat unlimited quantities of. Things I could probably eat every single day for ever. Oatmeal (which I actually do eat 5 days/ week), peanut butter, bananas, Chipotle, etc. Also on that list would be pancakes and fresh corn.
So, why not combine the two?
These savory pancakes are a perfect appetizer or side dish. I enjoyed them with just a little butter, but they would be fantastic with some salsa or a fresh relish too.
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- 1/4 cup corn bread mixture
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 bell pepper, diced small
- 1/4 onion, diced small
- kernels from 2 ears of corn
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Mix together the dry ingredients, corn meal through salt
- Stir in the milk and the egg then add the pepper, onion and corn to combine
- Brush a frying pan lightly with some oil, then bring the heat up to medium high
- Spoon a spoonful of the batter on to the pan and allow to cook until the edges of the pancake begin to solidify, then flip
- Cook for another minute on the other side then remove from heat
- Repeat with remaining batter
This recipe should make about 12 small pancakes. I served them on the side of a salad entree, but have definitely used them as a first course before too. Most of all, I recommend you serve immediately because the pancakes do start to get soft if they sit around.