Friday, July 26, 2013

It's a Splurge

This is a fun one. 

Anyone else like fried food? It can't just be me. I love ALL THINGS fried. I could never try a deep-fried Oreo or butter because I'm afraid I would like it too much! 

I try to keep my fried foods to a minimum and enjoy them occasionally. It's pretty rare that I'll eat french fries if I go out for lunch or that I'll eat doughnuts on a weekend, but then sometimes I go all out with fried green tomatoes and fried chicken all in one meal. It happens!

And, it happened last night.

I've had po boys on my mind for awhile now. At the farmer's market by my office, they sell po boys during lunch and a friend of mine had one recently. It looked SO good. I usually pack my lunch, but I still had a craving.

I had some scallops in the freezer from when they were on sale at Whole Foods not too long ago, so I decided to pull them out and put together some scallop po boys. But wait! The po boy stand at the market sells veggie po boys made with squash blossoms.

DSCN3422

Bought 'em. 

I put together the coating and set up all my stations, then it was actually a pretty quick process. I took the unconventional route and used Old Bay seasoning for flavor. 

DSCN3423

Easy and delicious!

Scallop Po Boys

Serves 2

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup corn meal
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon Old Bay
  • 1/2 pound scallops
  • 3 tablespoons mayo
  • 1 tablespoon ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
  • 1/2 tablespoon whole grain mustard
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • Vegetable oil (up to 1/4 cup)
  • 2 rolls
  • Lettuce (just a few leaves)

Directions

  1. Combine corn meal, flour and Old Bay in a bowl
  2. Roll each scallop in the corn meal coating and place on a plate 
  3. Combine mayo, ketchup, mustards and chili powder in a small bowl
  4. In a large frying pan, pour in oil to about 1/8" deep and turn on heat to medium high
  5. Allow the oil to heat up. Drop a few crumbs from the corn meal coating into the oil- when it sizzles immediately its ready
  6. Place the scallops into the hot oil and allow to cook for about 2 minutes per side, until a nice crisp forms
  7. Remove scallops from oil and place on a paper towel lined plate
  8. Prepare buns with lettuce leaves and 2 tablespoons of mayo, then top with scallops

DSCN3424

Amazing!

Now, don't forget the squash blossoms either (or maybe be more practical and split them into two different meals!). I used the same coating, but dipped them in egg before dropping them into the corn meal mixture.

They turned out pretty good too,

DSCN3427

Not to worry, I served these guys along side some other veggies- sautéed peas-in-their-pods and (seriously burned) sweet potato fries.

DSCN3426

In case you were wondering, this meal received Brian's full approval too!

1 comment: