Monday, July 15, 2013

Market Days

Now that summer is in full swing, the farmer's market has SO much to offer. The options change all the time, strawberries were around a few weeks ago, but now we're on to blueberries and soon it will be blackberries that are in season. As I was buying some snap peas today, they told me it was the last week they'd be around- I'm glad I was able to get them at least once this summer!

What was particularly exciting about this week, was that they had chicken again! It's been months since I've seen chicken there. I grabbed a whole chicken and later this week you'll see what I did with it. I almost always buy a whole chicken because its so much more economical than buying the parts.

DSCN3377
So many of my favorite foods in this picture!

DSCN3378

  • Lettuce: I bought a lettuce mix that Brian loves for a dinner salad this week, as well as the Loudon Lettuce blend that I pack for my lunch salads during the week. 
  • Beets: I always buy beets with the greens attached because beet greens are incredibly delicious. I think everyone needs to buy more beets!

DSCN3379

  • Snap Peas: I'm looking forward to sautéing these with some garlic and probably snacking on a few raw while I make dinner that night.
  • Zucchini and Squash: These are regulars. Typically we'll roast it in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper or slice it up to go into a pasta. When I was younger I would only eat yellow squash and not the green. Now I don't think they taste any different! 

DSCN3380

  • Corn: I love corn. Have I mentioned that before? Fresh corn is by far my favorite part of the farmers market in the summer. (I almost said all year, but then I remembered fall squashes and Christmas trees)
  • Blueberries: These blueberries are perfect. This week must be the peak of the season because they are about as good as it gets. 

DSCN3381

  • Fingerling Potatoes: I buy these and then I don't even have to chop them up to go in the oven. So easy. There's a stand at the market that offers a few different types so I just mix and match them.
  • Potatoes: I'm not sure what the official name of these potatoes is, but they made some delicious home fries yesterday morning for breakfast.
  • Pepper: This guy went into the home fries- I like to use a full pepper and a full onion to amp up the flavor, volume and nutrition.

DSCN3383

  1. Tomatoes: Yum! There are some 'seconds' in the mix that I'm going to turn into a pasta sauce. Regular tomatoes are $3.99/ lb and the seconds are $1.99/ lb. Obviously that $3.99 adds up, so I want to try buying seconds unless I'm going to be eating them raw.
  2. Onion: This is a candy onion and it went into the aforementioned home fries (along with that garlic, which was not purchased at the market- although you can!)
  3. Peaches: Yay! I've officially moved on to my summer peach oatmeal. Pumpkin lasted through March this year, but peaches are only in season for a limited time so I won't be able to enjoy this one for that long. I'll get the recipe your way soon!

And, with that I feel prepared for the week! I'll probably stop by Trader Joe's on my way home from work tomorrow to get a few other items that aren't available at the market (avocado, bananas, etc.) and pick up local milk at the market near my apartment, but other than that I'm pretty much set for the week!

On the menu...

  • Sunday: BBQ chicken, corn and fingerling potatoes.
  • Monday: Salad with leftover chicken, black beans, tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, cheese and edamame with creamy avocado dressing.
  • Tuesday: Baked fish with sautéed beet greens and snap peas.
  • Wednesday: Po Boys with zucchini and citrus beet salad.
  • Thursday: I'm going out with some girlfriends!
  • Friday: Pasta or ravioli with homemade sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment