Monday, July 22, 2013

Must Try!

With the start of another week, I can't say that I am disappointed by how quickly July is going. We are closing out on the hottest month of the year and I am so grateful for that. Apparently, we've been experiencing some record-breaking heat this summer. Longest streak without any temperatures dipping below 80F. I prefer record-breaking snow falls!

Other than sweating profusely, we had a pretty low-key weekend. Celebrated a friends birthday and ate some good food. This week kicks of Eat Local First week here in DC, and while I'm not sure if I'll be attending any formal events, I will certainly be eating tons of local foods  throughout the week!

My stop at the Farmer's Market yesterday ensured that our kitchen will be well stocked. This week we have many of the usual suspects- lettuce, kale, corn, peaches, potatoes, beets, zucchini, cheese, ground beef, cucumber- and one seasonal addition, okra.

NewImage

[source]

I had not tried okra at all until last summer. I am from New York, not the south, and okra sounded like some weirdo southern food. Considering my love for things like fried chicken and fried green tomatoes, I should have been a little more open-minded. Okra is actually delicious if you cook it well! I haven't branched out and tried any kind of okra stew (I'm nervous about it being slimy), but I can't imagine not liking okra when it's cooked like this!

DSCN3399

The texture is definitely unique. It's more like a squash than anything else- a little chewy on the outside and some gooey seeds on the inside. This is one of those vegetables to go on your 'must try' list. 

Roasted Okra

Serves 4

Ingredients

  • 1 pound fresh okra
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 425F
  2. Cut okra into 1" pieces and spread on a baking sheet
  3. Toss okra with olive oil and then sprinkle salt and pepper on top
  4. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes, stirring halfway

Brian made dinner last night and it was an absolutely perfect summer meal!

DSCN3400

2 comments:

  1. As a southern girl, I love okra! I'll have to try this b/c frying it at home is not an option for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually never had fried okra! I know I'd love it though :) I've never seen okra in NY and it's not easy to find in DC. I do want to test out some cornmeal coated and oven baked, though.

      Delete