Thursday, July 25, 2013

Rock Star Salmon

I've been making an effort to incorporate more fish into my dinner menus. My goal is for one meat entree per week, one seafood, one night of take out and four nights veggies/beans/tofu.

Salmon is like the rock star of fish. We've all heard about how salmon provides Omega-3 fatty acids for cardiovascular health, joint protection and a potential decreased risk of cancer. Lucky for us, Coho Salmon is in season right now and its wild-caught, which means more of the good stuff (wild-caught fish has higher nutritional content) and none of the bad stuff that comes with farmed fish (pesticides, antibiotics, lower nutritional stats). I'm able to buy it for $13.99/ pound and I usually get about three-quarters of a pound for Brian and I, so it's a good deal.

When I arrived home with my Coho Salmon last night, I wanted to put together something different (even pesto salmon can loose its pizzazz after a few weeks in a row). I had a few random ingredients that I thought might work out.

To start, these whole wheat panko bread crumbs,

Breadcrumbs
I almost always make my own crumbs from homemade bread, but this is a good back up option with a  decent ingredient list. Far shorter than any other I've seen!

I used another fun ingredient as well- nutritional yeast. It's something that I wasn't familiar with until I started reading vegan food blogs. It has a nutty/ cheesy flavor and just adds a little something extra- I usually use it to replace parmesan in a recipe. I find it in the bulk section of Whole Foods and it's pretty inexpensive.

DSCN3414

I also had a bag of sun-dried tomatoes and some walnut pieces (also full of hearth-healthy Omega-3s!) and I decided to work with that. The end result was pretty fantastic.

 

Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Salmon

Serves 2

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato peices
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
  • 2 salmon filets (about 3/4 pound total)
  • 1 egg white
  • Cooking spray

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 400F
  2. Chop walnuts into very small pieces (you could also use a food processor) and then do the same with the sun-dried tomatoes (just do your best on this one!)
  3. Combine walnuts, tomatoes, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, basil and nutritional yeast in a bowl
  4. Place salmon on a lined baking sheet and brush lightly with the egg white
  5. Sprinkle the breadcrumb topping on the salmon and press down so that it forms a crust
  6. Spray the top of the breadcrumbs with oil (I use a Misto
  7. Bake salmon for 15 minutes at 400F
DSCN3416

It was delicious. I have never seen Brian eat salmon so quickley, so I'd say he agrees :) The coating was crunchy from the panko and the walnuts (do not leave out the walnuts!) and the flavor was spot on with the basil and nutritional yeast. If you don't have nutritional yeast, you could easily sub some parmesan.

1 comment: