Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Voluminous Noodles

Is it normal to use a crock pot in the summer? I always think of it as a winter kind of thing, but plugging in the crock pot means not turning on my oven, so I've actually been using it a fair amount this summer.

 Including for my chicken the other night.

After months without any chicken (that's some serious suffering), I took my whole chicken and plopped it into the crock pot with some barbecue sauce. That seems to be the go-to plan these days. It's just too easy. Five hours on high and we were good to go.




DSCN3386
Delicious. Fingerling potatoes and corn on the cob as sides.



Julysalads
Also good as leftovers on a salad!

While this was super delicious, another meal stole my heart recently. I saw a recipe on the Clean Eating Magazine website for Soba Noodle Chow Mein. I don't think that I have ever had chow mein, so I can't vouch for it's authenticity. But, with a few adaptations I think this recipe turned out pretty well. The servings were actually Kim-sized, too. Most recipes for four people serve Brian and I for one meal, but we actually got two dinners and three lunch servings out of this!



The veggies in this recipe add a ton of volume. I love volume- eating because it fills my stomach with out a ton of calories. If your unfamiliar, it basically means you consume a large quantity of low-calorie foods versus a small quantity of high calorie foods. I usually try to add as many veggies as possible to grain and pasta dishes, and as much fruit as possible to my oatmeal!



I used scallops in this recipe, but only because they were on sale at Whole Foods. Shrimp would be great and so would chicken or tofu. 



Chinese Noodles with Scallops


Serves 4 (or more!)


Ingredients


  • 8 oz soba noodles (1 package)
  • 
1 teaspoon sesame oil

  • 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce

  • 1 tablespoon tamari

  • 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon oil (safflower, sunflower or vegetable)

  • 3 cloves garlic

  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger

  • 1 onion
2 bell peppers, sliced (I used orange and yellow, but red and green would work just fine)

  • 1 package sliced mushrooms (I used baby bellas)
  • 
1 bunch rainbow chard, roughly chopped

  • 1 teaspoon oil

  • 1 pound scallops (or chicken, shrimp or tofu)

  • Salt and pepper



Directions


  1. Prepare noodles according to the directions on the box

  2. While the water is heating up for the noodles, stir together the hoisin sauce, tamari and 1 tablespoon of oil in a bowl

  3. Add teaspoon of oil, garlic, ginger and onion to a large frying pan and saute for about four minute on medium high until fragrant. 

  4. Add peppers and mushrooms to the pan, cook another three minutes

  5. Add chard to the mix and stir in to wilt
  6. At this point, heat up another pan over medium-high and add your remaining teaspoon of oil
  7. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of your scallops, then add to the pan for a quick sear (about 2 min per side)
  8. Once the scallops are done (opaque white through the middle), remove them from the pan.
  9. Pour the hoisin/ tamari sauce over the veggies and stir. Add the noodles and toss.
  10. Plate the noodles and veggies, then top with scallops

DSCN3374
There are a lot of moving parts to this recipe, but it's GOOD. I promise its worth it. and it helps that you'll have tons of leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment