Tuesday, July 23, 2013

What's For Dinner?

I hadn't made a plan for last night's dinner because I was supposed to have a Junior League meeting so I figured I would pick up some sandwiches or salads on my way home. When the meeting was cancelled last minute, I decided I could come up with something simple to make.

We had some leftover buns from our burgers the night before and if I don't plan well, we sometimes let those extras go to waste. Trying to avoid that, and knowing I didn't want to eat meat two nights in a row, I picked up some portabella mushrooms at Whole Foods.

Typically, I marinate the mushrooms and top them with some sautéed onions and cheese, but I also wanted to use up some leftover fire roasted tomatoes that I had in the fridge and I came up with this:

DSCN3404

Portabella Parmesan Burgers

Serves 4

Ingredients

  • 4 portabella mushrooms, stems removed
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce*
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 4 buns
* I used 1/2 cup fire roasted tomatoes, 1/4 tsp each of: basil, parsley and oregano

Directions

  1. Place mushrooms in a large pan over medium high heat and cover
  2. Allow mushrooms to cook for about 5 minutes, flipping halfway
  3. Remove mushrooms from pan and place on a baking sheet
  4. Top each mushroom with 1/4 of the sauce and cheese
  5. Place pan under broiler on high for about a minute to melt the cheese, remove
  6. Place buns directly on the oven rack and broil for about 30 seconds, until just warm
  7. Plate the buns and add your mushrooms

Loved it! I actually have one saved for lunch today. I don't think it will reheat spectacularly, but I'm sure the flavors will still be there.

DSCN3403
I served with our favorites- sweet potato fries and kale chips.

Dessert was exciting too. I'm not turning on the oven or stove anymore than I have to, so I knew I needed a raw dessert.

DSCN3406
Fudge babies! The recipe is from the blog Chocolate Covered Katie and the ingredients are amazing- walnuts, dates, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt. Nothing to feel guilty about. I love cocoa powder because it has all the health benefits of chocolate and none of the sugar, which means you can add your own sugars and choose health ones like dates and bananas :)

Ignore the fact that these look like something you might find on the ground in the woods. They taste like brownie bites!

No comments:

Post a Comment