Monday, September 30, 2013

Assembly Lasagna

This weekend was FUN. My camera stayed in my purse the whole time, so you'll have to take my word for it. Last weekend was all about grocery shopping and deep cleaning and food prep. This weekend was about eating, drinking and seeing friends. That's a good balance! 

Not much cooking happened, until last night and you have to wait a bit longer for that one, so I'm going to share a recipe from a few weeks ago. 

Lasagna was a regular on the table when I was growing up, but can you believe I've never made it myself? Not once. I decided it was time to come up with my own version and give it a try. I had a few criteria- I didn't want to use meat and I couldn't use diary (unless I wanted to eat an entire tray of lasagna by myself). Enter- lasagna, Daiya mozzarella "cheese" and Angela's tofu ricotta.

I ended up making the noodles myself, due to DC's apparent lack of interest in Italian staples, but it would be easier to sub in whole wheat lasagna noodles. You could also use regular dairy mozzarella and ricotta. That said, I did a rough estimate and by following this recipe exactly, you would eat almost 1/3 of the calories than if you were eating a regular meat and dairy lasagna. So there's that. 

The tofu ricotta is 100% "real food" in my book, but Daiya doesn't make the cut. It's processed. I considered making the lasagna without it, but I'm glad I didn't. Daiya is one of those things that I think is perfectly fine to eat every so often, so I wasn't worried.

DSCN3450

Vegan Eggplant Lasagna

Serves 6 (large servings!)

Ingredients

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 400F
  2. Slice your eggplant into thin 1/8" inch rounds and lay on a greased baking sheet. Cook until soft, or about 30- 35 minutes
  3. If you're making tofu ricotta, this is a good time to make it!
  4. Reduce oven temperature to 350F
  5. When the eggplant is ready, grab a deep 9 x 13 casserole dish and spread a spoonful of sauce in the bottom
  6. Place three noodles on top of the sauce, covering the bottom of the dish
  7. Cover the noodles with slices of eggplant
  8. Spoon 1/3 of the tofu mixture on top of the eggplant and sprinkle about 1/4 cup of Daiya shreds on top
  9. Add a thin layer of sauce
  10. Repeat steps 5- 7 two more times
  11. Finally, cover the top layer with three sheets of lasagna noodles, sauce and the remaining Daiya cheese
  12. Cover the casserole with foil and cook for 25 minutes; remove foil and cook 10 more minutes
  13. Heat remaining sauce in a pan over low heat until warm
  14. Allow casserole to cool for 10- 15 minutes before serving with sauce

DSCN3451

As you can tell, this recipe is more like assembling a bunch of other recipes. It's good to plan ahead!

DSCN3454

This is such a winner. We both liked it and I ate all of the leftovers. Mmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment